| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  tools
Jani Peter Sandvik

Kolppi Finland
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 4:05 am    

what is this tool named, wich rounds the crosshaft. And where could it be found, and i would gladly like to get links to where to find these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iO_mjS2eU8
Martin Weenick

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 7:15 am     Cutter

Jani those are called anular cutters. All the machinery stores have them. Enco, Travers, Wholesale Tool, Just to name a few. they make them in two different lengths , one inch and two inch. You will want the one inch. I use a 11/16 cutter, (it has a hole a little less than 5/16 ") to make my bearing jornals. this will give you a round end on a square 3/8 shaft of just under 5/16 inch. The O.D of the cutter is 3/4 inch and I use a 3/4 collet in my mill. If you dont have a mill you will need a 3/4 chuck and drill press. The cut works perfect if you use 5/16 I.D. _flanged nylon bushings with a 7/16 O.D. These are available from McMaster-Carr. (prepare for sticker shock).The anular cutters are around $28.00 to $34.00. Hope this helps, Martin. (P.S., Wholesale Tool is probably the cheapest)

Kolppi Finland
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 8:06 am    

Geeee i googled annular cutter, and came to that we have those cutters at our work but the cutter is to large. Rolling Eyes ook so thats a annular cutter eih.....
better get out to the store tomorrow

and yes i do have a milling machine
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 9:10 am    

Thanks LOADS to both Jani and Martin for this tread. I have wanted to know what this cutting tool was called for a long time. Thank you!

Also a few other question for Martin:

Where can I buy a 5/16" hexagon "collet"? Also a 5/16" square collet? Does Enco have them also?

Final question. I have a collet holder I bought from "Beal Tool Co" that screws onto a 1" X 8 wood lathe hollow spindle.

Do you know if this collet holder will support the above collets, assuming Enco has them? I have round collets, but no square or hexagon ones. The holder is called "C-5" I think.

If I could procure a suitable hexagon and square collet that would fit this collet holder, it would be great. Since I then could use my wood lathe for light metal working.

Lastly, what is a collet "stop". And, what is its purpose?

carl

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 4:04 pm     Collet

Hi Carl, you can buy the hex and square collets at just about any mill supply. They are called a 5-C collet. I am not sure about your lathe collect holder but I bought one for my mill table on sale for around $35.00. They are regular $49.00. I think I got my 5-C collet holder at Wholesale Tool. Its sure easier to round out the end of a square or hex shaft than useing the lathe. I can make a set of shafts for a double neck in about 20 minutes. Carl I am not familliar with a collet stop. Maybe one of the machinists will chime in. If it will help, the diameter of a 5-C collet just above the threads is 1 and 1/4 inches. Hope this helps, Martin.

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 4:23 pm     Collet Holder

Carl, here is a pic of my collet holder with a 5-C collet in it. Martin

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 5:28 pm    

Thank you very much Martin,

This is really great. I have a brand new mill, I have never used. It is about 20 yrs old. Bought it from Grizzly. I am going to dig this thing out of the cobwebs and start using it. I have seen the collet holders you pictured, but I did not know how they were used. Now I know.

The collet holder I have, spins when the wood lathe is turned on. I use it for various things. Now I know how to get that round on a square shaft. If a 5-C hexagon (or square) collet will fit my lathe collet holder, I could put one of those "anular cutters" in the tail stock "chuck", and it would be great. Oops it is a 1/2" maximum chuck, But I am sure I could get a 3/4" chuch, and use it instead. the tail stock is a #2 Morse Taper, but I am sure I can find an adaptor go into the back of a 3/4" chuck.

Thanks again dear person,

carl

Britain
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 9:00 pm    

Carl,
If you've got a lathe, you don't need an anular cutter.

Just use the regular turning tool.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 9:02 pm    

Whoops Embarassed Embarassed

I just saw that you said 'wood lathe'

My bad Embarassed Embarassed
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2008 7:03 am    

Sokay dear friend. Smile

I can do some things with the wood lathe, with a metalworking "chuck". But turning metal is not one, since I do not have a traveling turninng tool holder.

I drill holes in the end of rods. Also polish rods. I also use a fixed die in the tail stock (leaving it loose), by turning the head stock by hand, to thread brass and aluminum rods, etc.

But I believe I CAN use the anular tool to form a round on the end of a square or hexagon rod if I can find a 3/4" chuck with a #2 Morse taper on the end of it. Do you know, if that anular cutter will cut stainless steel?.

I hate to work with SS, since it is sooooo hard to cut. Also, I need to shorten and rethread some Pedal Rods that are stainless steel. Do you have any suggestions? Standard fixed dies just won't cut it, even with plenty of lubricant. They will twist the rod before they will cut nice threads. Sad

How do you thread these rods without doing it on a metal lathe with threading capability? Any thing you know, I would be more than interested to know about.

'preciate it Surprised

carl

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2008 7:52 am     Threading

Carl I am getting ready to thread some 3/16 hex stainless steel shaft with a 10-32 die in my lathe. (if UPS will get here with the material) I will take some pics and show you the set up. As far as cutting a stainless shaft with the anular cutter it will work OK for a while but remember that the cutter is High Speed Steel not carbide and will not last too long. I would love to see a picture of your old Grizzly mill if possible. Martin.

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2008 9:44 am    

Thank you Martin,

Tell ya what. The next time my daughter comes over with her digital camera, I will flat take a picture of it, and post it on this thread.

I had it delivered by a flatbed truck. As best I recall, it weighs upwards of 2,000 lbs; and it is a small one! A fork lift was bolted to it and the trailor. They put it in place in the front corner of my garage, and it has not been touched since. In fact the motor has never been turned on, cause I have never even ran 220 to the machine.

Even the cosmoline protective covering is still on the race ways and tables.

Incidently, at the same time I bought it, I bought a milling vise JUST like yours, and it is sitting on top of the table with gobs of junk on it, I am ashamed to say. I also bought a lot of milling "goodies" from Grizzly that came with it.

I bought the mill, because I, at the time, had entertained the idea of building PSG's. I was dead serious. On the back of the garage I built a wood shop. But sometimes, "The best laid plans........."

In addition, I am innately lazy. Not proud of it, 'jes statun a fact! Sad

I tell you the truth, If my wife was probably ANY other woman on this planet, I would be sleeping in the yard today! or dead! Truly! She IS a jewel, that I do not deserve.

The only thing she has EVER said when I express my "dreams" is: Buy it! I can only imagine what HER "mansion" is going to look like. May Jesus bless her always.

Look for the picture.

Thanks for all your help dear person.

carl.

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2008 4:31 am    

Carl, here is the pics I promised showing my set-up for threading. These are 3/16 stainless Steel hex rod about 3 inches long. Im putting about 2 1/4 " of 10-32 thread on them. I find this cheap little lathe will do anything you need to do to build a steel. It has a 5 inch swing and will take a rod up to 12 inches. $450.00 from Grizzly, and very accurate if you set it up right. Martin.

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2008 4:51 am    

Martin,

Thanks a million for posting those pictures. I have some questions"

1. What chuck speed do you use?

2. Are you able to thread these rods with out continuing to stop, then reverse (to clear the threads), then reverse and repeat.

In other words, can you begin threading and continue threading right up until you have it threaded the desired length, at a given chuck speed, without stopping?

If yes, I would think this would either break the die or grossly twist the rod.

What am I missing here dear friend? This is something I have wondered about for a long time. I do know that on lathes with a "threading" feature, the operator does not use "dies". Rather: they actually cut the threads with a "V" grooving cutter, bolted to the carriage tool holder.

Where the carriage and speed of the chuck are synchronized for a specific thread. And on very hard materials they can go back and forth cutting ever deeper.

But what about your system. Please take me step by step through it Martin. I am intently interested.

Thank you,

c.

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2008 5:41 am     Lathe

Carl, my lathe has a threading feature both metric and imperial, but I find it to be more trouble than its worth. OK on bigger stuff with larger threads, but for the dinky stuff I use dies. This lathe is variable speed and I use that at a real slow turn to thread about an inch then back off almost all the way and re-lube the shaft. The lathe does have many sets of gears for different threads that are easy to install. You must go slow or the die will get too hot. I move the die forward with the handle on the tailpiece, I dont use the auto feed. You have more control that way. Martin.

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2008 6:26 am    

Ty Martin,

Smile