| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Aubrey Ghent and Calvin Cooke
Steve Branscom

Pacific NW
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2008 4:33 pm    

I play the dobro and want to learn lap steel in the style of Aubrey Ghent and Calvin Cooke. Aside from Darick Campbell's DVD on Sacred Steel instruction can anybody give me a good idea of instructional material that would get me going in that direction? I looked under the instruction tab and noticed Rick Alexander and Geo Piburn instructional DVD's but don't know if they're going to get me where I want to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2008 5:20 am    

Hi Steve,

To my knowledge neither Aubrey nor Calvin have instruction videos.

Aubrey plays in standard Dobro tuning, but often pitches it to A. There are some good shots of him playing a couple of pieces on Arhoolie's Sacred Steel doc video. ( Disclosure: I directed that project.) You can find the video on www.Amazon.com or www.Arhoolie.com

I know Bill Leff has spent some time studying Aubrey's style from that video. Maybe he'll chime in.

Calvin Cooke is in the video too. Realize he plays an E7 tuning (not always pitched to E) with the 7th note on the second string.

Good luck,

Bob
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2008 8:07 am    

I suggest learning the way the sacred steel players did, by careful watching and listening. Pay particular attention to the way they use vibrato and melisma - like African American pop and gospel singing where a single sylable in a word is expressed via multiple pitches. THeir rhythm playing is it's own thing where all the instruments lock-in to create this tapestry of awesome groove. it's better heard and felt than explained, I think. I love the way Darrick Campbell uses a wah-wah pedal for harmonic-like sounds.
Steve Branscom

Pacific NW
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2008 2:56 pm    

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.