| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gary Carpenter & Rains Steel Guitars
Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2008 12:51 pm    

For the last two years I've owned a Rains Steel Guitar. I just spoke with Gary Carpenter, the builder of the Rains Guitar, and I must say what a gentleman he is.....took the time out of his very busy schedule to talk with me for a bout five minutes over the phone with some very minor issues I have about my personal guitar.....for me it's a cosmetic thing....because I like my instrument to look its finest when I'm onstage, whether it's at a club or a steel guitar show somewhere here in the deep south. Gary was very congenial and answered my questions quickly....and was also very thankful that I'm a Rains player/owner. If any of you want the finest playing and sounding guitar on the market today, you owe it to yourself to sit behind a Rains guitar. You will not be disappointed. Thank-you Gary, first of all, for a fine product and secondly for being a gentleman and putting the people who play your guitar first. I'll always be a Rains player...........your friend........HAL HIGGINS
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.
John Walden

Simi Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2008 4:26 pm    

I second that emotion, Hal ! Very Happy

Rains SD-10
Emmons SD-12 PP
Sho-Bud LDG
Fender Twin w/ JBL's
Mesa Boogie Mark IV x 2
Peavey 112 w/Knob-Guards x 2
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2008 5:05 pm    

He seems like a pretty cool cat from my talks with him.

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2008 5:30 pm    

Look up the word "CLASS" in the dictionary, and there will be a picture of Gary Carpenter.

And the Rains guitars (now have "Rains by Gary Carpenter" on the front, since he bought out the company 3 years ago), are just phenomonal. Rains is and will continue to grow into "a force to be reckoned with" in the modern steel guitar market/world. If you want tremendous sustain and playability, get a Rains. And Gary's playing is completely top shelf---E9 AND C6th necks.

No one's hospitality has "sustain" like Gary's does. Cool
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2008 9:29 pm    

Gary is one of my best friends and he takes a back seat to no one as a player and builder. The Rains is in my opinion the best modern guitar for the buck you can get. I have spent a lot of time at his shop watching him work and playing the guitars when they are complete. With all the guitars to choose from you will not make a bad choice if you buy a Rains.
Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2008 4:44 am    

I just received my new Rains last week. I have always kept an eye and ear open for many years in the event I come across a guitar that really has what it takes. I have literally played or owned them all. One year I had (9) steels in my music room. Well I had the opportunity to sit down with a Rains and that was all it took. I called Gary and ordered a guitar. He set it up as I requested and shipped it to me within 5 weeks. The guitar arrived and while it looked very very nice....the sound that this guitar produced was beyond words. Sustain???? Geez oh pete....I'm talking all the way up and off the fret board. Clarity of the notes....no other guitar gives me what I hear from this Rains...the highs and lows flow so well together but distinctly different....and noticeable to everyone who has heard it. I played it out at a gig Saturday night and was told constantly all night long how nice this guitar sounded...and not just by the band members. Now a lot of folks will buy something new and get real prejudice and blind to anything other than he/she got a good deal. I was afraid that might be happening with me although I felt I was being as critical as I could honestly be...but I also knew there was a way to find out for sure. I went into the steel guitar room we have on the internet where you can play live and the members could listen. Well Bobby Bowman just happened to be there that night and the first thought in my mind is that Bobby will pick the guitar to pieces....not because he is "mean spirited" but because he is blatantly honest. If you don't want the truth....don't ask Bobby Bowman his opinion. Well I played the Rains and Bobby and everyone else in the room not only gave a big thumbs up but were specific about why. The whole time I was thinking...if you like it going over the internet....you should hear it sitting here live where I am. I will let Bobby and anyone else that was in that room post their own words if they wish. I have had several players stop by to play this guitar and voice an opinion and not one had anything but praise for the tone and playability of this guitar. The workmanship and attention Gary gives his guitar is certainly unsurpassed in this industry and if you simply sit down to one today I can not possibly see how you could think any differently. I am still blown away and about as happy with this guitar as one could ever imagine. I intend to order a second guitar very soon...and then I will be ready to enjoy whatever life's left with these new guitars. I want to personally thank Gary Carpenter for a job well done and with the speed with which he got the guitar to me. He says "I try to get everyone's guitar to them that quickly" and I believe that. I know that he is working a lot of hours per day/week and I know that he will do everything within his power to keep producing a fine and exceptional instrument. CUDOS GARY CARPENTER!!!!

Ray Walker
Walker Seats

Anyone who may have a question about this guitar from a players' perspective can certainly call me...919-524-1774
john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2008 6:56 am    

There is nothing more I could add to what has already been voiced about Gary Carpenter. He is a "gentlemen's, gentlemen and a musicians - musician" in all regards. Kind, courteous and very professional both on the phone and in person, he is the same each time you speak with him.
I own 2 Rains guitars and like I've said in previous posts, "For me the search is over!". He has a life time customer here!

John Buffington, Pres. Oklahoma Steel Guitar Association
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2008 8:42 am     Just a side note....................

If this is the SAME Gary Carpenter that has recorded with Carl Vaughn and Curtis Potter......I can only say how impressed I am with his playing regardless of what brand of machine he's using.

But I do have a question: "WHICH CAME FIRST"....

Jeff Newman used to tell us a story in his seminars about how on one occasion, he entered one of the Nashville Studios in preperation to doing a session when he heard this fabulous steel guitar playing.......and what Jeff claimed to be so amazed about, was how the 'unknown player' could make such beautiful sounds and melody out of nothing more than 'a continuous SCALE' that started at about the first fret and went on up and nearly off the other end of the guitar.
Gary does this kind of thing on one of the afore-mentioned CD's and it is truly a wonderful thing to behold. If you haven't heard it before, you should grab both of those albums above mentioned.
The man not only has a fabulous SOUND, but has a touch of class in his creative approach to fills and solo's.
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2008 8:51 am    

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2008 10:17 am    

I can see it now....

Chapter 1: Get a hat.
Chapter 2: E9 tuning.... Mr. Green

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2008 1:16 pm    

I've had Sho-Bud, Derby,Mullen,Emmons,,,in every configuration you can think of. I've never had the opportunity to set behind a Rains Pedal Steel,,,I know of quite a few Rains players,,,,but for some unknown reason,,,,what I heard the other night totally blew me away,,,,. !!!!! while in the ISGCC, Ray played a few tunes on his new toy,,,,,to be honest,,,if it sounded that good over the net,,,I can only dream of what they sound like in person. Folks,,,I'm 62,,,been playing since the age of 14,,,but the tone on that "RAINS" was nothing shy of "Awsome". clear,,,warm,,,Full,,,,and if I didn't know better,,,,would have swore it was the best sounding push-pull I've heard in a long time. Ray,,,Congrats on the new steel,,,,,I've got to wait till October,,,,but this has me re-thinking alot. Carp....my hat's off to you for building one fine sounding,drop dead pretty pedal steels. the next one in this house will be a "Rains".

Joe
George Wixon

Waterbury, CT USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2008 1:30 pm    

I was also in the ISGCC room the night Ray came in and played the Rains.
I have always liked a mellow sound in a guitar and what I heard was not only mellow but also a very warm sound with a richness that just can't be believed unless you hear it. It didn't make a difference which string groups Ray was playing or where he was playing on the neck. This guitar just had a very pleasing sound all the way around.
Ray, I'm happy for you and I know your going to enjoy the new Rains.
George.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2008 2:00 pm    

At Dallas this year there were 2 guys whose tone(and playing ability) stood out for me !! Junior Knight playing his double 10 Rains and Dag Wolf with his new Zum D10 hybrid !!
Marlin Gengenbach

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2008 4:58 pm     rains guitars

Folks, this thread just blows me away! I just returned from a FTW where I viewed the prototype of David Hartley's guitar, and left mine for the latest updates Gary provides. Previous posts express my sentiments so precisely, especially Johnny's and Jame's. We were privileged to hear Gary play two sets at Pearls on Wed evening (second time to witness his outstanding talent) on the music stand. BUT, the point I would make, that every one else makes that has met Gary, is that he is so sincere, honest, down-to-earth, and so likeable. (Maybe he ought to enter politics...) This guitar is outstanding! Try it. You will like it!
Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2008 8:20 pm    

I've known Gary probably longer than anyone on the Forum, and I might as well weigh-in as well -

He is a great guy, a great musician, a great craftsman, and although there's been 200 miles and 30 years between us, I consider him a great friend. He's probably the best steel player that has somehow stayed "under the radar", and not that well known to all. The more Rains guitars that get into circulation, more people will come to know what a good guy Gary is!

(He's also a pack rat...At Dallas this year, he presented me with a Christmas card I sent him in 1975!!!)
Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2008 8:33 am    

Now, this is what I'd call a truly great guy. I call Gary a few days ago......we talk, and I ask him about some "Spirit" decals, even though my guitar is not a "Spirit Model". This man takes the time to look and see if he can find some, and lo & behold he does and gives me a call this morning and says he needs my address so he can mail them to me.....Gary, you are really "top-shelf"....I'll be upgrading my axe real soon......take care and keep building the greatest guitar on the market (my opinion)...HAL
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.
Pete Walthall

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2008 9:04 am     rains guitars

hal to upgrade a a rains all you have to do is take the strings off an turn them over .good for three more years . what a great guitar mity fine
Brian Straub

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2008 9:33 am     Gary

Received my new Rains from Gary a few weeks back...empire mahogony 3 X 4, lawrence 705's pickups...wow the tone is real nice..Spoke with Gary several times on the phone...real nice to deal with and produces a real fine instrument. Every piece of this guitar has been thought out. Plays smooth with great pedal and lever action. If you're looking for a quality steel guitar, buy a Rains!! Gary is a class act...keep up the good work!! will post pics soon.

Brian in CT.

1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2008 11:01 am    

Well, folks, I'm just starting to deal with Mr Carpenter, as I recently got a wonderful used Rains, and he has been great to help with a couple parts I need, and like Hal mentioned: I need to replace the Spirit Dove, so Gary got back & said he found some and would send right out to me. Parts also one the way. This is what I call service Exclamation
BTW, this Rains is mica and has the most beautiful clear, rich, full tone of any mica I have played. It ain't me, has to be the instrument Cool
Thanks Gary for the great service. ....
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-
Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2008 11:57 am    

As everyone knows I have played alot of guitars in my musical life..all great! It started with MSA in 70..then in 72 with my first S-12 Bb Uni.That was the first time I remember just being TOTALY blown away by the WHOLE guitar..sound,the way it played,no tunning problems..etc. The years that followed I would trade away great guitars just to get a new one with all the new inprovements..all great guitars, but I guess I was searching for something..well what ever that something was I have found in the Rains by Gary Carpenter! For me...nuff said!
texsteelman2@yahoo.com

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2008 1:26 pm    

I,ve had mine for 3 yrs and i could'nt agree more about Gary and his guitars. Great guy to talk to and deal with, and the guitar (mpo) is 2nd to none in every way. 33 yrs of playing and this is the first guitar that realy hooked me.
Ron Deardorff

Capitola, CA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2008 6:48 am    

I'm not sure what else I can add to this thread that hasn't already been said, other than that my new red parisian D-10 has me grinnin' like a hounddog every time I sit down to it. I don't have the benefit of having played lots of other steels before my Rains, but I won't have to now, as I plan on being buried with this one. Very Happy Razz Winking
Keith White

Norfolk, UK
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2008 12:18 am     Rains steels

Hi guys ,this thread says it all.Dave hartly and myself both promote the great sound of the rains over here,they play so smooth and the tone is something else.Gary is a super guy ,a great player and a great engineer .Cant wait for the new hartly model to come on the steel scene,its going to be a great year after all.Best regards to you all,Daves buddy Keith white .UK
Sho-Bud 'LDG', Sho-Bud 'The Professional', Rains SD10, Fessenden D10, Hilton Pedal, Peavey Session 500, Peavey 112, Lots of PV PA, And of course, the BJS Bar (for the best tone)! Love all Steel Guitars!
David Hartley

Post  Posted 19 Jul 2008 2:55 am     I totally agree......

I agree with everything said about Gary and his steels. I really can not fault them in any way at all. There is getting a lot of interest in these guitars too here in the UK. I also feel very honoured to have my 'Hartley' model being made available from Rains guitars too. Pictured below.

I can't wait to see you all in Dallas 2009, David Hartley

PS:- Whats this steel room I saw mentioned?
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2008 6:15 am    

And then we have this one! Very Happy