| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dobro Hawaiian Guitar
Jami Wolloff

Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2008 6:31 am    

anybody have a clue what one of these might be worth: http://www.elderly.com/articles/dopyera/185u-227.html

I found one at a music store for $1100, very similar to the one that Elderly has in their collection. It has modern tuning machines. The body of guitar is exactly like the Elderly one, minus the pair of f-hole graphics. The back of the guitar is different - it has many hollow channels without covers, with a pair of f-hole carvings where the neck meets the rest of the body.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2008 8:44 am    

That sounds like a decent price. I sold mine for $900 about five years ago (it wouldn't stay in tune and I didn't want to mess with the original tuners).

I'd have to see pictures of the actual guitar to be able to say whether that's the right price for that guitar, but hey, it's a recession - you should be able to negotiate!
Jami Wolloff

Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2008 4:02 pm    

thanks for the info!
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2008 4:42 pm    

Brad Bechtel wrote:
That sounds like a decent price. I sold mine for $900 about five years ago (it wouldn't stay in tune and I didn't want to mess with the original tuners).

I'd have to see pictures of the actual guitar to be able to say whether that's the right price for that guitar, but hey, it's a recession - you should be able to negotiate!

If it's true on all examples of the instrument, that they don't stay in tune - then as a player's instrument, I don't know why anybody would want one, unless they have money to burn.

I know Bakelite Rickys often have a reputation for not saying in tune, but they can sound so exquisite that a lot of folks are willing to put up with it.

There is a certain coolness factor to that Dobro lap steel, but what I'm thinking is that even if you get the seller to knock off $100 and you get it for $1000 - you could get a brand new, state-of-the-art design, 6-8 string, MSA SuperSlide for $1295!