| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Reese Anderson writing
Brick Spieth

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2008 11:42 am    

Rather than ask all the newbie questions that have been asked before, I've been reading through about four years of posts, which is 195 pages so far. There is a wealth of information, and with just two weeks worth of hands on playing on a steel, the most interesting post so far (somewhere in the 170 to 190 page area) pointed out some articles on the MSA web page by Mr Anderson. I highly recommend reading the spot on how the brain works in relation to learning the PSG, specifically the thinking two seconds ahead theory. I started applying this to my practice routine and got almost immediate results.

I was having major intonation problems on descending scales, and thinking ahead just a bit cleared this up. Very interesting concepts here.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2008 4:23 pm    

Brick, you're obviously a forward-thinking type of guy.
Stick with Reece's writings and you can't help but get good on the steel.
Brandon Ordoyne

Needville,Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2008 5:42 pm    

Reece is one of the nicest steel pickers I have ever met. Anything you read of his will benefit you greatly! Smile

Brandon

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2008 8:31 pm     I agree

Reece is a first class guy. An amazing teacher.

Wayne
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2008 4:34 am    

Another thing I found to be really helpful was this piece on current brain & learning research (PDF):

http://www.newenglandconservatory.edu/studentLife/documents/PracticingandCurrentBrainResearchbyGebrian.pdf

If you want to skip over the bag-of-meat details you can jump to page four and the role of sleep and how to structure practice to take advantage of it.

Quote:
...keeping the role of sleep in mind can also help you practice more efficiently. The primary thing that improved with sleep for the people in these studies was speed (at least that’s what the experimenters were measuring). Since the amount of daytime improvement and learning after sleep aren’t related, spending hours and hours on a really tricky fast passage on the first few days of practicing isn’t as efficient as getting it fluent at a slower tempo and then just leaving it until the next day. The next day, not only will you be able to play it faster, but you’ll spend much less time getting it to a faster tempo than you would’ve the day before.
bob Ousby

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2008 7:35 am    

Brick...Can you tell me how to get to those posts? I'm interested in it. Does one have to literally work back through each page to get to pages 175-190? Thanks, Bob
Brick Spieth

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2008 10:20 am    

Well, if there is a way not to have to scroll through each page one by one, I haven't found it. I went forward half way and then back half way which is a real pain, but worth it for all the good info for us newbies.

It seems that the search feature should have a "go to page 110" function but not that I've found. Also try not to open or read the posts that value steels that are now going for $1500 and see that they were $800-$1000 five or so years ago.
bob Ousby

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2008 10:26 am    

Thanks Brick! I'll just get comfy and let my fingers do the walking.
Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2008 10:36 am    

Here let me help you with Reece's writings. Go here and clik on any one of the four areas you want:

http://www.msapedalsteels.com/html/reece_s_writings_index.html

You're welcome. Laughing Laughing

phred

Think about it!!
bob Ousby

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2008 4:09 am    

Hi Fred...Thanks for that link!