| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Gig Scam ?
Stan Townsend

Post  Posted 25 Jun 2008 11:40 am    

I received a request from a person in France to provide music at a gig near Fresno, CA. Google maps shows a vacant lot for the gig location. I can't figure out exactly how the scam works, but he refuses to call on a landline, only email correspondence. Does anyone know what the angle is? Here's the email:

Hello, How is Business, My name is Carl Kennedy I am presently in Lyon , France here ,I work as a Videographer. The reason why I am contacting you is that my wife Sharron will be Celebrating her 40th Birthday Party soon, precisely on the 20th September, 2008. Please check your avalability for this date because I will like you to take care of the Music aspect of the event. I came across your profile and am impressed with your services,experience,of course is okay by me. The venue address of the event is 7705 Walnut Avenue Winton CA 95388 USA. We are expecting about 80-100 guest & its going to be an indoor party. The party starts 12pm-5pm according to our program of the event. You are to start performing when it is 1pm till the end of the party. There will no be any dance from guest nor familly for any reason what w e only need from you is for you to just give us interesting music. All expenses would be taken care of by me;Please I want the best service from you, because she is my only wife & i love her so much. So your best production is needed at this occasion. Pls Let me know your CHARGES to work for 4 Hours on that day,1pm -5pm when the event will be ending,moreso let me know how you plan to move down here with your electronics? I will want to put it to your notice that i will take care of your hotel only if requested from you,please let me know how many of you will be comming for this event? I hope to read from you soon & also to have your service QUOTE which will only include your travel,feeding, and your service fee. I look forward to your response and also your price package so that I can make quick arrangement of paying you a deposit payment so that you can book my wife event on your calendar. Pls email me back asap.
Best Regards
Carl.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2008 12:04 pm    

Hmmm... That doesn't necessarily look like a vacant lot to me. There's a long driveway to some buildings back from the road.

This could be legit. Problem is, it's not very close to where you live. It would probably be an overnighter for your band. If you're open to doing it, send him a quote, ask for a deposit and see what happens. If it's a scam, he'll want to send you a cashier's check for more than what you're asking. Don't reply at all if he does that. You don't want a counterfeit check.

USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2008 12:10 pm    

Stan;
That has all the signs of a new twist to an old Nigerian Scam. If you don't mind, would you please send that email to me, Forwarded as an attachment? I want to trace the sender and need the hidden headers, which are only available if an email is forwarded as an attachment. All other types of forwarding strip out the original headers, making the email useless for tracing. Please use the email link below this message. Instructions for "forwarding as an attachment" this are found in the Sticky topics at the top of this forum's listings.

If I confirm Nigerian or African origin I will post the details in a reply.

Thank you.
Reporting member of SpamCop
Rick Batey

Post  Posted 25 Jun 2008 12:49 pm    

Last edited by Rick Batey on 10 Jan 2009 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jon Moen

Canada
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2008 4:57 pm    

To me it sounds like he wants you to come up with a figure and he will then offer to give you a deposit. He will ask for your bank info so he can transfer the funds. Don't do it. It sounds like the Nigerian scam with a different accent.

Jon