| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Questions about OLD Zum...
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2008 1:55 pm    

A forumite has made what sounds like a reasonable offer on an MCI D 10 I am trying to trade.... He has a 1976 lacquer Zum S 10 to trade plus some cash...

I would like to know a little about these old Zum guitars.. I know Zum steels are considered great guitars and have been for decades,but this one is the oldest Zum I have ever heard of.. I would appreciate any info on the changer,pedals, mechanism, action, tone etc etc... Are they built like Sho buds of the era?.. More like MSA??... all pull??.. any help or underside pics would be a big help.. I am seriously considering the deal but need more info... thanks for any help ... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2008 3:33 pm    

I had a 1980 it was built a lot like an MSA, but I think it sounded better on the E9th, I sold it to a friend who is still playing it. The Zum I got now is a 2000, but I still think his sounds great. I know many other player who have Zum's from the late 70's who still play them, Randy Beavers has a 78 I think, mabe he will tell you something about his.

Jerry
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2008 3:38 pm    

Aluminum frame like an MSA, or parts screwed into wood like the old Buds???... bob

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2008 4:00 am    

No one ever owned an older Zum???.. I would have thought I could get a few basic ideas on how the mechanism and changer set up was designed Confused Confused Confused ... bob

JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2008 4:16 am    

Bob My old Zum's mechanism was simlar to the MSA as much as i can remember, the string was hooked with a pin, an the newer ones use a slot.One of the things i remember most was I had an MSA an when I switched it was because Bud Carter told me the Zum played as good as any MSA.I got the Zum an played it out on a job the same day, the action was just about the same.

Jerry
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2008 6:27 am    

Thanks Jerry,I appreciate the input!!!.. anyone else??? bob

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2008 8:05 am    

I do not think that Bruce supported the old models of his instruments. No parts for them at all.

I do know about trading an MCI for this old of a ZUM. I would think that the Zum reputation was not based on his 70s guitars.
Tommy Dodd

Acworth, Ga., USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2008 9:06 am    

Bob, I can assure you that the reputation of the Zumsteel guitar is what it is today because of the quality that has always been a part of the company and the man building them for over 30 years. I am one of the "oldest" users of the Zumsteel pedal steel guitars having bought my first one in 1980 right behind Randy Beavers and Mike Smith (2 of my heroes and dear friends).
Actually I had an opportunity to sit and play that first guitar I had purchased in 1980 when a fellow by the name of Ray Robinson purchased the guitar and brought it to St.Louis for Bruce to look it over. (The guitar had been through a couple of other owners and Ray just wanted to make sure everything was working properly since he had never owned an all-pull guitar.) Ray let me sit and play it for awhile. It was like putting on an old pair of comfortable tennis shoes. The pedal action was soft but solid, the knee-lever stops were still very positive, and the tone of the 20+ year old body sounded wonderful. I felt very comfortable and could not see, feel, or hear a great deal of difference from this older Zum to my 2001 model sitting just beside it.
Bruce has made several improvements and enhancements to his designs over the years but be assured he has always been a fanatic about the quality of his "namesake" guitar.
As far as still supporting the guitar, pick up the phone and call him. (Yes, he will answer the phone if he's there... he doesn't even use an answering machine to screen callers like some companies!) I know he has lots of parts from many of the older guitars because I order and use them for friends of mine that are very happy with their 20-30 year old Zums.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2008 9:14 am    

Bob, I picked up a 1984 Zum S12U in a buy/sell/trade deal recently.
The thing sounds killer!
Plays exceptionally well, too.
I am considering selling two other steels because this one rocks.
I am thinking of sending it to Bruce to have my copedant installed by the master himself.
Then it will be Sierra and Zum S12U's with matching copedants.
Cool,
pete b.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2008 4:27 pm    

I just finished reassembling a 1984 Zum that had been taken apart by it's previous owner who passed away after he disassembled it. It came out beautiful and plays and sounds like a million bucks. The new owner is blown away by it and he has owned several nice guitars in the past. According to Bruce this guitar was originally built for Tommy Dodd. Bruce was very helpfull thru the whole process. Yes there were a few parts he no longer had, but I found substitutes for them. Some of the parts he sent me were the ones he puts on the new guitars. Just give him a call, he'll steer you right.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2008 4:48 pm    

i kind of got the idea that zums came into fruition as a competitive modern steel right around 82 when i got mine. had bruce's newer changer mechanism (for the time), and shortly after that he sent the aluminum blocks behind the changer with the split tuning screws installed. earlier models (especially 70's) that i saw were a little heavier, less refined.
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2008 1:09 am    

Chris, is that the old Zum I saw at the Bishop Tri County Fair four or five years ago? Blue?

The Demolition Derby is better nowadays, but you are missed up on the bandstand.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2008 7:26 am    

my first ZumSteel was a 1981 blue D10 9/8 that had been made for Mike Smith
that guitar was still very comfortable & precise & gave me years of pleasure
there was nothing wrong, ragged or worn out on it
it's alive & well in good hands in Italy & still goin' strong

Bruce is a fine gentleman, if he can help you service an older zum, he will

Last edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 22 Jun 2008 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Roger Hurst

Independence, MO, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2008 8:51 am    

Bob C....

Go for the Zum, You won't be sorry! I've got a '78 Zumsteel D-10 lacquer steel (Yes, it is 30 years old) and it still looks new, has tone to die for, and I seldom ever have to touch up the tuning during a 4 hour jam. It sounds a whole lot better and plays 10 times easier than my Legrand II. Plus, if you ever have an issue with a Zum, the guy who built it is only a phone call away and he will knock himself out to take care of you.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2008 10:04 am    

yes chris...that's the one...i just can't find any good reason to stop playing it even though i have options..

haven't been to bishop lately, but did a few days at mammoth not too long ago..

if i owned a derby i'd paint a couple beat up race cars on it and name it 'demolition'.
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2008 6:27 am    

I have two ZUM 1980 D-10's. Bought 'em in separate parts of the country and their serial numbers are 5 numbers apart. They're great. However, when I bought one of them several months ago it was WAY out of adjustment and played like a homemade sewing machine. I called Bruce (what an incredibly helpful guy) and he sent me a listing of his standard setup for all changes, i.e. which raise/lower hole combined with what bell crank slot. The chart was very clear. So, I redid the setup according to that and, wow, that steel was "born again." Both my Zums are now my "first-grab" steels for when I head out the door for a job. So, if you're buying an older steel, Zum or otherwise, ASSUME it is out of adjustment and not original.
Tom Buur

Denmark
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2008 6:53 am    

Eric,

I would be very interested in that standard setup, maybe others would too. The Zumsteel.net is down. But would it be something that could be published here? Perhaps with Bruce's accept?
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2008 2:03 pm    

Thanks all.. the point is now moot.. deal did not go through... bob