| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Backup Behind The Singer"
John Burton

Manassas, Va
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2008 5:51 am    

I recieved my copy of "Back-Up Behind the Singer, C6th Lap Steel (DeWitt Scott)" about a week ago. Purchased here at the Forum, naturally.
Thought I'd give my impressions so far.
First off, I'm still a 'lil new to Steel. I'm a fairly experienced guitar player, however, especially Travis picking.
I started steel with the "Basic C6th Nonpedal Lap Steel Method (DeWitt Scott)" learned the basics, and then moved right to Don Helm's "Your Cheatin' Heart" book and CD (Which I absolutly love! Still not finished with it though...)
I have two steel sixers, one I tune E6 (for the Don Helms stuff) and one I keep strung for C6.

"Back Up Behind The Singer" was EXACTLY the material I was looking for. Very standard vintage country fills and solos. I haven't really delved far into it yet. Actually I've been diligently practicing "the Great Speckled Bird".

This C6 material is giving me a break from struggling with the Don Helms stuff (I'm determined to learn the Helm's book cover to cover even if it takes years..)

All in all, this is a great companion piece to "Basic C6th Nonpedal Lap Steel Method (DeWitt Scott)". If you are like me and want to learn Vintage Country Steel, you will enjoy this a lot.
Delvin Morgan

Lindstrom, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2008 6:43 am    

I have the Don Helms book, and it is fantastic! Since Mr Helms E6/13 tuning is very close to E9 pedal steel tuning, which is what I TRY to play, even we peddlers can learn his tunes.
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2008 9:53 am    

I too have both the "Back-Up Behind The Singer" and "Your Cheatin' Heart" and think they're great. Good "ole timey" soundin steel guitar on both.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2008 2:38 pm     Back-up behind the singer.............

One of the reasons my record collection has grown and grown.......is simply because I craved to learn more and more about backing up singers.

I started with Eddy Arnold and was really hooked on Roy Wiggens.......and Carl Smith and George Morgan's steel players. THEN, I heard Jerry Byrd.

Whether or not you like Jerry Byrd's STYLE....you can learn so much from listening to the records on which he has played......with the likes of Ernest Tubb, Red Foley, George Morgan, Hawkshaw Hawkins, Cowboy Copas and countless others. His backup is flawless and his solo's are unequaled.

If you REALLY LISTEN and try to understand why he did this or that and how he got there from here, etc., you'll begin to better understand what backing up a singer is all about. They are NOT just noise from bar movements.... There is a definite dynamic
in "back-up".

Cowboy Copas' "Forever" that's currently on the Jerry Byrd Fan Club site at this time is a CLASSIC example of what backing up a singer is all about.
Bill Bodle

Highland Park, Illinois
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2008 10:57 am     back-up behind the singer....

thanks for the recomendations -- ordered it from the forum today
Duane Solley

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2008 6:38 pm     Back up behind the singer

Do any on these instructional books mentioned have musical notation or are they all with tablature only?
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2008 9:03 pm    

Duane, neither has music notation but both come with a track containing the steel part then a track without to play with. The tab is laid out nice and is easy to follow.
Duane Solley

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2008 6:09 am     Backup behind the singer

Thanks Andy. I am trying to learn the Alkire tuning and need musical notation. I was hopeing to find some course/book that had fill-ins, intros, etc., written in notation. Backing up a singer is what I would really like to learn. Thanks again for your quick reply to my post.
Bryan Bradfield

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2008 7:10 pm    

Duane –

I can read both standard music notation and tablature. I acquired standard music notation skills through 8 years of piano lessons. I then started guitar using tablature. I CAN use standard music notation with guitar, dobro, etc, but it is a bit of a struggle. I find the tablature much easier.

From my experience, I believe that a “non-schooled” player would have CONSIDERABLE difficulty with standard music notation.

But in the end, is it not our goal to play with no guidance at all in front of us? Don’t we endeavour to play purely from our experience and acquired skills? Therefore, is not the means by which we acquire those skills (tab versus standard notation) irrelevant?
Duane Solley

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2008 7:44 pm     Back up behind the singer

Bryan, I agree with you that the goal is to play without any aid such as notes or tablature. However, to reach that goal I feel I need some help along the way and my preferred method is with notes. I do not know of any tablature for the Alkire tuning.
I did not mean to imply that one system is better than another. Frankly,I have no idea which is the best, I only know what I prefer. When I read this thread about the instructional material I was hopeing to get something that I could use.
Bryan Bradfield

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2008 8:12 pm    

Duane -

I admire you for tackling that Alkire stuff, and you are correct - it is probably only available in standard notation. However, from the Alkire examples I've heard, the final goal is worth the extra effort.