| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is it possible to................?
David Hartley

Post  Posted 4 May 2008 3:22 am    

Have your internet explorer 'refresh' itself every few minutes rather than hit 'refresh' ?

David Hartley
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2008 8:59 am    

You might be able to write a script in VB for Windows Script Host, to do that, but it is beyond me what commands it would use. Perhaps a Windows API programmer can come up with such a utility.

I imagine the script would be the equivalent of the Meta Refresh tag than webmasters can include in the HEAD of an HTML document. Or, it could be a JavaScript refresh of the same page.

Gentlemen, sharpen your pencils! David wants a Windows script that will refresh Internet Explorer, on an interval of his choosing. Assume that this includes all open tabs.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2008 9:45 am    

Amazingly, I have found exactly the script David asked for, on the Microsoft Technet. It is a WScript, written for Windows Script Host, consisting of just 13 lines of code. The script requires one to open Internet Explorer via the script, which then reloads IE at a predetermined interval, as set in the script. You can find the script and details here.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Last edited by Wiz Feinberg on 5 May 2008 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2008 9:17 pm    

David, I hope that you're not using it to hit the Forum server! Whoa! This isn't some big operation here - it's just a little Mac on the end of a wire.

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 May 2008 9:59 pm    

Just hit the F5 key to refresh. That's pretty quick and easy... eh?
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2008 5:27 am    

b0b wrote:
David, I hope that you're not using it to hit the Forum server! :whoa: This isn't some big operation here - it's just a little Mac on the end of a wire.

This shouldn't impact the server much at all. Most of the content will be returned from his browser's cache, such as images, CSS, scripts and HTML. Only new content or changed icons would be downloaded by an F5 refresh. The standard server response to a browser F5 refresh is "304" 0, so no additional load occurs on the server. A forced "reload" is a different story.

I would like to recommend that if anybody plans to apply an auto-refresh to their browser that you set the interval to 30 minutes, which is the time interval set in the above-listed script. And, set your Internet Options to "Automatically" check for changed content, rather than "always download." This ensures that non-changed items are served from your local hard drive or memory, rather than being re-downloaded from our server.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2008 8:01 am    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
b0b wrote:
David, I hope that you're not using it to hit the Forum server! Whoa! This isn't some big operation here - it's just a little Mac on the end of a wire.

This shouldn't impact the server much at all. Most of the content will be returned from his browser's cache, such as images, CSS, scripts and HTML. Only new content or changed icons would be downloaded by an F5 refresh.

The HTML from the Forum is generated dynamically by the various PHP scripts. It does not come from the browser cache because it's not a static resource.

If someone were to walk away from their machine with a script set to "refresh" their browser every minute, it would add a load equal to an active user. If 100 people did that at once, it would be the equivalent of a "Denial of Service" attack on our server.

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2008 9:25 am    

Oops! Embarassed
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 May 2008 10:32 am     Re: Is it possible to................?

David Hartley wrote:
Have your internet explorer 'refresh' itself every few minutes rather than hit 'refresh' ?

David Hartley

Oh come now, is there really any logical reason you'd want to do this? Muttering