| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Different Way!
Jim Strawser

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2008 11:53 pm    

Anyone ever tried a Traynor Solid State amplifier for lap steel??? Seems everyone has FSK and Peavey's. A vintage TS-100 Traynor has 2 X 12's and a 3 spring Accutronic reverb. And I'm experimenting with digital delay as well as analog delay. This amp sold for $783.00 in 1984 and is a Canadian version of a Fender Twin Reverb and built like a tank. You dont wanna know what i stole it out of the pawn shop for!!! Any and all comments and questions welcomed!!

Salmon Arm, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 9 May 2008 6:33 am    

As far as tone is concerned, it comes down to whatever floats your boat. If you're happy with the sound of that amp (and Traynor/Yorkville equipment is generally undervalued in that respect) then that's all that matters.

I usually gig with a Traynor YCV40. It was great bang for the buck, and holds its own against boutique amps with a price tag 3-4 times as much.

I keep a Peavey Bandit 65 in the practice room. I picked it up for next to nothing, and it's the amp I take to the "chicken wire around the stage" gigs.

If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.

-Albert Einstein
Jim Strawser

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2008 11:26 am    

Very Happy Wow, Thanks Richard! Yes Pete Traynor was a pioneer and a wizard in view of the fact that he was the first(many many years ago) to have a solid state amp emulate a good tube amp. Dr Decibel from Celestion Speakers addressed the possible replacement of the Marsland 12" speakers with an 8 Ohm version of either the Vintage 30 or the Lead 80 to get the steel sound Im looking for! He also spoke highly of the Vintage Traynor's!! Yorkville is now selling the Traynor amps here in the US. Seems Traynor is making a reapperance in the amplifier world. Yah can't keep a good Canadian down! Pssst! I got the amp for $61.00 + shipping. Beats the hell out of buying a Twin Reverb reissue for over a Grand. I think i found a diamond in the rough, and its in excellent condition!! Thanks for the reply! Jim Whoa!

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 May 2008 7:17 pm    

I don't think I could agree that a SS amp would have the tone of a good tube type. The Twin Reverb and the solid state Traynors are two different animals.
As to a new Twin, I wouldn't buy one for half the price, mostly because it's using printed circuit boards for everything except the tubes,...not good for the service tech.
Like mentioned above though, tone is in the ears of the beholder. Very Happy
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2008 8:39 pm    

Some SS amps aren't what most folks want for steel, but there are some surprising exceptions out there.

I've been using SS's exclusively lately, with no problem getting a (satisfying enuf) juicy tubey tone.