| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gibson Console Grande Scam!
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2006 5:53 pm    

A warning to anyone who might have also bid on this Gibson Console Grande. I was the second highest bidder on this guitar on eBay and today I recieved a "second Chance" email supposedly from the seller. After forwarding the email to eBay I was informed that eBay had never sent it.
Scott Appleton

Ashland, Oregon
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2006 3:25 pm    

Yea they sent me about 15 notices like that
one used extortion phrasing to get me to
cough up the 950 i bid on it. I would have gone
higher but got caught in traffic .. these
SOB's are still sending me 2nd chance offers
all ar bogus.
Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2006 3:51 pm    

If I understand correctly the second chance offer was probably not from the seller, but was a scam from a third party pretending to be the seller and using a bogus form of communication ?
Andy Sandoval

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2006 4:45 pm    

Colm, that's exactly how it works, a third party sends you an official lookin email tryin to get you to buy the item you didn't win. But all you gotta do is forward that suspicious email to eBay and they will confirm whether or not they actually sent the email.
William Clark

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2006 8:35 pm    

They must be picking on Steel Guitar players. I have bid on two Stringmasters in the last 6 months on Ebay. Almost immediately I received 2nd chance offers on both of them. Both offers turned out to be bogus. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Ebay has a pretty good tutorial on how to recognize phoney offers. Andy, did you check out Gbase? There are three Console Grandes for sale between 1150 and 1650. All of them look pretty sweet!
Andy Sandoval

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2006 11:44 pm    

To date I have recieved three different emails offering me a "second chance" at the Gibson I bid on.
Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2006 4:22 pm    

Andy,

The Console Grandes seem to come up several times a month on Ebay. I was watching the prices early this year, if your are patient you should be able to get one at a price less than what is listed on Gbase. I have also seen at least one Console Grade listed on Gbase for awhile eventually go to eBay and sell for less. I think the key is to take your time, there does not seem to be a buying fever going on. If you are going the eBay route, there have been some higher priced buy-it now ones not selling and being constantly relisted, lately.

I recall, the cleaner ones have been going for $900 to $1200. The key is be selective and have a maximum bid that you place in the last 10 seconds, or use a Sniping site to place your max proxy bid in the last few seconds, no sense starting or adding to a bidding war. Contact the seller if you need more pictures of things that may not be pictured very well -- most sellers will oblige. Take all the other precautions in checking out the seller, don't hesitate to ask for a phone number, some of these guys turn out to be good sources. I have even done reverse phone number look-ups on sellers to see if everything matches.
Dave Zielinski

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2006 5:15 pm    

Hey guys, heres another security check... I use this on EVERY sale.... get a phone number or a name and look them up on www.zabasearch.com

go there and type your name in... they had every address I lived at since i was 5 years old!!!! scary, but amazing. You can at least zero in on the seller and find out if they are somewhat legit.

Good luck and keep one eye out!
Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2006 7:15 pm    

I too, was offered a second chance on a steel guitar I was bidding on a few months ago. I thought it was fishey, because the final bid it went for, was 5 or 6 hundred dollars higher than my highest bid.. plus They wanted me to send the money out of the country! They kept buggin' me for days...
Andy Sandoval

Post  Posted 12 Sep 2006 8:27 pm    

Got one more "second chance" email today which makes me wonder how many big dollar eBay auctions are bein scammed in this manner. I know it's made me much more careful with my eBay dealings. It's been mentioned before but if anyone gets a suspicious eBay email all you gotta do is log on to your eBay account and look in your "my messages" folder to see if in fact there's a copy of that same email in there, if not, it's fake.