| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Emmons on "The Easy Way of Claude Gray"
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 12 May 2008 3:38 pm    

Just a head's-up:

I recently re-discovered an album I've had for a long time, The Easy Way Of Claude Gray. Buddy plays some very, very nice stuff on both necks, with unusual arrangements of Night Life, Crazy Arms, and others.

The album was originally on Decca, and I don't know if it's available on CD or not, but if you should find a copy, get it.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 May 2008 5:35 pm    

http://cgi.ebay.com/Claude-Gray-Easy-Way-of-Decca-Stereo-lp_W0QQitemZ330001964463QQihZ014QQcategoryZ306QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247
John Coffman

Wharton,Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2008 5:36 pm    

Hey Herb Mr.Gray is one of my all time favorite singers. Have not heard this as most of his stuff is hard to find. Hope I can find a copy

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 May 2008 8:18 pm    

I just got an email from Claude Gray two weeks ago, weird, I think he's running a truck stop in Colorado, I worked with him right after this record was cut, mid sixties. Look at the cover, look how rumpled his suit was! Pretty funny, he had it in a paper bag just before the photo shoot.

Jerry Reed and I cut "Cleanest Man in Cincinnati" with him at Nuggett studios right after this album was done for Decca. A Shel Silverstein song and Jerry played great, Jerry was a wonderful studio musician.

I think Claude said Buddy came up with the chord progression on "Crazy Arms". I stole this arr. on my 1993 cd version. ( I borrowed it)

Music, what would I listen to without it? Whoa!
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2008 7:30 am    

I had the pleasure of backing Claude with my band back in the mid 70's. He was a class act. Tall, thin guy with a deep baritone voice. He wore a sharp black tuxedo and smoked.
He was a cool dude.
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 13 May 2008 10:13 am    

I'm still tryin' to get my hands on a "radio play" copy of "I never had the one that I wanted". Bought 6 of his different CD's and the rendition that is on them still ain't the same thing... (at least not the same tune they're playin' on Willie's Place).

There's always hope...
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2008 7:07 pm    

Ray, I've got Claude Gray's "I never had the one that I wanted" on a various artists cd c. 1987
Its called Country's Greatest Hits-Twenty Hits DCD-7815 Highland Music Dearborn Mi. 48126

I've been trying to find that song as well for many years but no luck. I've got several of Gray's lps but none of them have the song it it. Its a great shuffle with great steel. I'd try and get the above cd. I bought mine on ebay but also try Amazon
Duane Becker
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2008 8:36 pm    

We had Claude down at the Oaklawn Opry about a month ago and I've played for him several times down around Henderson. Still a great singer and nice guy.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 May 2008 4:23 am    

Ray:

You may be looking for the version of that song he did on his first Decca lp - Claude Gray Sings - 1967. LP included Apt. #9, Touch My Heart and Misty, to name a couple.

I can send you an mp3 from that lp if you want one.