| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bad Red Rajah Bar?
Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2008 5:54 pm    

I just got my first one,they seem to have a positive feedback here on the Forum, the thing is slick as snot alright, but as soon as I tipped it on a wound string and slid I could feel it draging and kind of a scratchy feeling and I look at the tip of the bar and its scratched up. This happened every time I did this. Whats up? Did I get a Red Rajah lemon?
Will
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2008 7:26 pm    

Maybe the coating came out thin on the end when it was made, and it wore through prematurely. Ask the seller if it's warranted.
Mark Deffenbaugh

NYC
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2008 8:02 pm    

This was exactly my experience with a recent Red Rajah. The coating didn't seem thin or in any way defective; I figured it was just the nature of the beast. It's still very quiet and slick on unwound strings, but a bit rough and noisy on the wound ones. I like the feel of the bar, but ultimately gave up on it.
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2008 8:33 pm    

They seem to need to be recoated regularly. If I didn't really love my groovey red rajah I'd have chucked it a long time ago, it's all scratched and Chucks site is down now. Bummer.
Mark White

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2008 12:39 am    

Chuck warns that his bars aren't for use on stainless strings. I found that on nickle strings they last about a year (an hour or two a day playing time). I've since switched to a Tribo-Tone bar which I love. Not as easy to hang on to as Chuck's bars but easier than a regular bar. Slick on the strings with very little string noise.
http://www.tribotone.com/
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2008 6:49 am    

You can call Chuck at 972 286 6922.
He will take care of you.

BIG STEEL
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2008 6:56 am    

Thanks Rick!
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2008 11:19 am    

I had the red and black ones,They were the flat sided ons,love the way they felt,very easy to hold,but the coating did not last very long.DYKBC.

Balch Springs, Texas, usa
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2008 4:50 pm    

The Red Rajah bar is coated to make it easy to hold and cut down on the drag on the strings, (steel on steel). Of course if you bare down and press hard with the coating on it, is going to drag more on the strings than it would if you did not have coating on it. It seems that a lot of GREAT steel players tend to bar down and press hard on the bar which makes the bar drag and wear off the coating. Bud Carter and Charie Norris both still us the same Red Rajah that they got in 1996 when I first started making them and the bars show hardley any wear at all. I, myself, play a little steel and like to tip the bar and do a lot of single string take of on the plan and also wound strings. but I do not not press hard and the bar does not drag and show wear. If you own a Red Rajah or Black Phoenix I thank if you would just relax and let the bar do the work instead of pressing and draging on the bar you would enjoy the steel a lot more. Sorry about my web site, it took me all of 1997 to make and now it is gone, it is like losing a old friend. My email is still "chuckguitar@msn.com" Excuse my spelling. Have a nice day, Chuck
Craig Stenseth

Naperville, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2008 5:22 pm    

C. Brattain wrote:
Sorry about my web site, it took me all of 1997 to make and now it is gone, it is like losing a old friend. My email is still "chuckguitar@msn.com" Excuse my spelling. Have a nice day, Chuck

Chuck,
Go over to http://archive.org and put your site's address up at the top where it says 'wayback machine'. Give it a minute to churn away, then it shows a page with links to snapshots (copies) of your site (or others) taken at different dates. Maybe you can save enough from here to re-create somewhere else?
Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2008 5:26 pm    

Hey Chuck, I was wondering if you were a Forum guy. I like the bar except for that one thing,I am a little disapointed the bar got scratched up a little the first time I used it. I didn't really think I was bearing down that hard on the strings.I'll have to keep that in mind. Live and learn. I was wondering what happened to your web site, links kept coming up for it then nothing.
Thanks for everybodys input.
Will