| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobby Black's chromatic run on live Hot Rod Lincoln
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 11:54 am    

Can anybody give me a tab for the chromatic run Bobby Black plays on the live version of Hot Rod Lincoln? If you've heard that version of the song you know the lick I'm talking about. (Commander Cody, of course.) Thanks!
Fred Amendola

Lancaster, Pa.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2008 4:51 am    

From the live set that came out recently ?
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2008 3:34 am    

I don't know if it's on the recent live recording. Perhaps that's a reissue of the older one? The older album is an all-live album.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2008 9:23 am    

I thought I remembered some of those killer BB licks... but last week I had the supreme pleasure of sitting in with Cody for a set at the Live Oak Music festival and couldn't recall any of 'em... just had to use my own tired noises. They seemed to like it though, and I was on cloud nine. CC is still slammin' after all these years.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2008 12:36 pm     Two of the all-time greats!

And I hope Cody keeps that now frail body flailing for many years to come.
John Ciano

Post  Posted 29 Apr 2008 6:40 pm    

Eric, Sorry I am so late to this topic. The album you are refering to is a MUST HAVE for everyone. It is called "We Have a Live One Here". It is a two LP collection and one song is as good as the next. Bobby plays his butt off and gives the CC&LPAM a big big sound. Although I never worked on that solo I did talk with Bobby about it. It was done on the C6 and if I remember correctly the chromatic run is found by mashing the A pedal which raises the fourth string A to a B and picking that with the third string C and moving up the neck the same way we do on the E9 with strings 2 and 4.
While we are on the subject of this album he showed me the chromatic run he did as the opening to his solo on "Semi-Truck": On the E9 press pedal 3 and the knee which pulls string 1 F# to G and pick string 4 then 1 then 3 and repeat every four frets. You get a fast and dymamic lick eg. from fret one G-G#-A, to fret four A#-B-C etc. Let me know what you think. John