| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  a new tuning...
Carroll Hale

EastTexas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2008 7:18 am    

been learning "C6" on an old lapsteel...
love the sound and simplicity of the "c6th" ..
wanted to know if any of the experts out there could find any reason for not doing this:

changed my dobro...GBDGBD.....to.....GBDEDG........
to let me play the "6th" chords.....of course, I have to rethink where I am each time I change from lap to dobro........on the dobro the "C" is at 5th fret of course and others are changed accordingly..
sounds very good to me......
have tried the cindy cashdollar change....put the E on the 4th string.....harder for me to make picking changes..than with my "c6 tuning...

if anyone can think of a reason NOT to do this...let me know....
thanks in advance.....
ch
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2008 7:17 am    

Hey Carrol, I have two Dobros but my most used one is tuned (high to low) D B G E D B. It's a G6th I suppose with the E on the 4th string. I can still do the bluegrass things and also swing sounding licks with the E string in there.

I also have Keith/Scruggs pegs on strings one and three to change the first string to E and the third to G#. That gives me an E7th. This can be done in mid tune while someone else is soloing or it can be done quickly even if you're the only soloist....JH in Va.

EastTexas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2008 9:00 am    

thanks jerry,,,
appreciate your input.......because I am not real experienced with the other "tunings" it is sometimes hard for me to make a change and be able to play along...guess, after I have done it for a while, it will become more natural.......as for as tuning on the fly...."MAN o MAN.....hell, I have enough trouble tunig to a tuner at stand still speed....you are way too far ahead of me for that stuff....
I do enjoy playing my dobro/lap so much....it has opened a whole new world of guitar playing to me...after over 40 years of playing reg guitar...this has been a pleasant change...and a wonderful way to play music....
I love the "G6" sound....and it fits well w the swing sound that I like.....
thanks again for your comments...
ch