| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for advice ? (musical equipment insurance)
Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2008 5:20 am    

Hi all.

Just wondering what any of you do as to some kind of insurance / insurance company that will insure musical equipment against theft and at home loss? My home owners policy / company will not insure it as I take it out of the house.

Im far from the only one out here with a vast investment in high end gear. I already never leave any gear at the clubs I play on weekends.

Even churches are no longer a "sanctuary" when it comes to loss from theft. The town I live in has weekly mid day home breakins. It's sad when you have to consider insuring something that you worked a lot of hard time to acquire.

I'm not sure this is the best section for this but its a starting point.

Thanks
Ray D.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2008 6:18 am    

This issue was discussed a while ago and it seems that the best insurance for musical instruments is through the Musicians Union.
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2008 6:30 am     psg

Best insurance is don't leave it anywhere overnight unless your with it!
Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2008 7:15 am    

Hey Billy,

You are right but you forgot to include be with it and own a gun !!!

Unfortunately you can only be with all of your gear if you only own one setup and you are behind it when you play.

I also have a nasty habit of heading off to work each day and the equipment has to stay behind.!!

Thanks
RD
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2008 7:18 am    

Home owners insurance should cover you if you are taking your stuff out of the house to say a jam , friends house , church or anywhere where you are NOT getting paid. If you are getting paid then you need another type of Insurance, just like business Insurance. You may have to list the items separately and sign a non professional waiver.

I have carried Musical Instrument Insurance previously but do not anymore.

tp

Last edited by Tony Prior on 12 Apr 2008 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2008 7:25 am    

A lot of home owners insurance will NOT cover what you have invested in musical instruments and equipment. You really need an "inland marine" policy.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2008 8:12 am    

You might try CLARION MUSICAL INSTRUMENT INSURANCE.

Call 1-800-VIVALDI
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2008 10:34 am    

I believe you need to list Instruments in a RIDER, they must know about it well before the claim. Contact your Ins agent and ask them . Think about how many people have very expensive Piano's at home. I have never had an insurance co. say no, but they did ask for a list and value with receipts.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2008 4:39 pm    

I'm a member of AFM Local 427-721. That qualifies me to obtain cover for my instruments at home and at work. My regular insurers (Allstate) won't cover my gear as I earn my living as a musician.

The AFM-backed insurance is with Marsh - Seabury & Smith of Illinois. I believe the only limitation is the value of what I can take out of the house at any one time - I think that's set at $10,000. My gear is covered while in my car and in a theater or place of work. I have around $25,000-worth of instruments and it costs around $257 per annum (plus, of course, my AFM fees).

I'm told this company is above-board and conduct them selves honestly, although I've not, to date, had to make a claim.
Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2008 5:02 pm    

Thanks Roger and all.

I would hope that no one ever has to make a claim. I need to check into something and its whatever will work best.

Does one put in a good alarm system and hope that scares off any would be culprits or just figure that they might get it one way or the other and just have it covered.

The only things I could not replace would be my 67 and 69 Emmons. Of course one can find them out there but these are just like new. The rest, a bunch of money could buy.

As far as home owners insurance, mine will not touch it even with a rider as some of the equipment goes out of the house.

Thanks
RD
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2008 6:02 pm    

A 'PS'....

I have, of course, had to provide the insurance company with all serial #s, and they advised me to have a photograph of each item in case it should be needed in the event of a claim. The photos do show a serial number when applicable.

Ray: While your two Emmons guitars would be difficult to replace, they do have a perceived value. We do occasionally see gems like yours for sale, although we'd probably have to pay around $4-5,000 a piece for them. Everything is insurable, I suppose, and some monetary compensation would be better than nothing at all; one just has to decide whether or not one wants to lay out a couple of hundred dollars yearly against an event that may never happen...
Buddy Carter

Spring Grove (Chicago), IL
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2008 6:37 pm    

I have also used Clarion. I found their coverage to be pretty economical. Broad coverage with very few exclusions. Basically, they realize they are providing coverage to "musicians" vs. "businessmen", and they are covering our "babies", not just "property".
Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2008 3:01 am     covered

Hi All

Thanks for the advice.

I did go with Clarion as they were easy to work with. They did not have alot of red tape and had no deductibles with the policy.

I would still be heartbroke if I lost my equipment but its better to be heartbroke with replacement dollars in your wallet verses just plain out of luck.

I will be moving to my future retirement place in FL in the next few years and at that time, a lot of my extra equipment has to go. We are all "collectors" in one way or another.Smile

Thanks
Ray DeVoe