| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Help in identifiying an unknnown Fender 8 String
Sean Nolan

Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2008 5:04 pm    

I've been looking for an inexpensive Stringmaster or Fender Deluxe 8 to fool around on, and I stumbled across this on EBay - auction 180229184082, Vintage Fender 8 String Steel Guitar 2 Snglcoil 3 legs:

I really don't know what it is, did it come from the Fender factory or was it home-built from leftover parts? Like I said I'm looking for a "player" not a collector's piece, but I still want it to sound and feel like a Stringmaster and I wasn't sure if this would do. It has 2 pickups like a Stringmaster but it isn't made of wood, it doesn't have a pot to balance the two pickups, etc.

Anyone ever seen one of these or played one? I just hate to waste my money if this isn't going to be anything like I'm looking for. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sean
Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2008 5:31 pm    

This thing has been pictured before on the forum. Looks like one of the necks from a stringmaster. It probably sounds great. It looks like there's no volume or tone control. Depending on what it goes for it could be a good way to get into a nice sounding guitar for not too much bucks.
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2008 8:54 pm    

It looks like it was originally a Fender 400 which was an 8 string pedal steel guitar.....it was modified & refinished to be a non pedal......IMO
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2008 9:52 pm    

I agree, Howard. The bridge Cover is definitely from a Fender 400 PSG, and some of the other parts might be too.
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2008 7:15 pm    

Judging from the fretboard, it's definately not a Fender 400! According to the fretboard markers, it's a 22½” scale. I like the looks of it and a volume and tone control are not essential. It would be nice to have some kind of control over the blend of the two P/U's! That shouldn't be too hard to accomplish!
Tony Kovacic

little old Montrose, CO
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2008 7:27 pm    

In the sellers description, he states that: "This modified Quad is an 8 string". His photo of the underside shows extensive routing to accomodate the improvised three leg arrangement. There are also no volume or tone controls. That, combined with the textured black paint job, tells me that this was once part of a four-neck instrument. The seller also states that, "This steel plays beautifully" and "is in excellent condition". Hmmm?
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2008 7:35 pm    

“Excellence” is in the mind of the interested party!!!
Tony Kovacic

little old Montrose, CO
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2008 10:17 am    

John,
You are absolutely right! It does all depend on the interested party. A steel doesn't need to be in dead mint condition to be a satisfying players instrument. Modified guitars are just more of an unknown territory.
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2008 10:42 am    

Isn't the bridge cover from a Fender 800 or a 2000? Notice it does not pivot on the tips of the bridge.

The plate containing the pickups looks as if it is cut __ separate from the bridge plate.

Is the finish that warm and fuzzy stuff, crinkle, spattered, or what?