| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Interference on Pocket Radio
Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2008 6:24 am    

Last night was opening night for our brand new Arkansas Naturals baseball team ( AA Kansas City Royals farm club) in The Brand new ball park. I like to listen to the game being braodcast on a local AM station and something in the park was adding interference to my reception. It got progressively worse as the night went on. Question -- Is there a particular brand of portable (small) radio that might be less suseptable to interference ? The radio brings the station in really well as far as volume and also clearity outside the stadium. All suggestions appreciated. Thanks, Bill Myrick
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2008 6:52 am    

"It got progressively worse as the night went on"

Bill, Did the reception return to normal when you went outside? If not cloud cover/atmospheric conditions could be responsible. Bad reception inside could be all the metal in the grandstand framework. If you have time walk around to check reception in different spots inside,before/after the game.I have no idea about which radio would be the best, you might look around and see what someone else is using, and talk with them.

BF
Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2008 7:02 am    

The reception outside was fine, so like you, I imagine the interference was inside but it seemed to be caused from an electrical source. When the game started, there was a small interference that came and went like someone trying to correct a ground loop or something but as the evening went on it got worse and worse until it covered the entire reception. I thought perhaps there was a radio with some type of built in filter or something that I might try. I didn't see anyone else with a radio. Thanks for the response, I appreciate all input.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2008 3:12 pm    

AM radio is the most susceptible band when it comes to interference. Motors, neon and flourescent lights, dimmers, cell phones, transformers, and even car engines will sometimes affect the signals.

That's why the industry went to FM back in the '40s.

You could try another radio, but the results will probably be the same. Often the only solution is to change your location to get away from the interference.