| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mullen RP players, stock pickups??
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2008 6:30 pm    

Just wondering how many Mullen players use the stock pups, or have you found a pickup you think sounds better in your Mullen??

Terry
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2008 7:06 pm    

Terry, my Mullen is pre-RP. I've tried several after-market humbuckers and keep going back to the original single-coil pickup that Dixie Mullen made for my guitar. I just have not been able to dial in the tone I want to hear with the humbuckers.

I hope that someday Bob Hoffnar will be able to build me a Tone Aligner pickup that will fit my guitar.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2008 8:10 pm    

Terry, my Mullen RP D-10 has stock pups and I would not change them. Playing thru a Steel King with just a bit of delay and reverb sounds good to me.

North Mississippi
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2008 8:30 pm    

I tried 2 different sets of s/c's but tried the BL XR-16's and really liked them. Just my preference.

Skip
Alan Harrison

Murfreesboro Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2008 10:36 am     Pre-G2

My pre-G2 has the stock pickups and I wouldn't want to change them. Whether I am using just the Evans SE-200 with a little reverb or going thru my profex, they sound great.

"I Steel Without Remorse"
Mike Castleberry

El Paso, Texas USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2008 12:11 pm    

No doubt, the single coil pickups on my G2 are better than the older Mullen single coil pickups I’ve had on other Mullen guitars. I have two BL reissue 705's ordered for my new G2. I'm hoping this will improve the sound. I'm an avid Emmons player and it's hard not hear that specific Emmons tone. But keep in mind, Mullen are great guitars.
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2008 4:32 pm     pickups

Thanks guys. I'm still using the stock pickups on my RP and really like em. But I think I remember reading here on the forum, or maybe it was on one of Bobbe Seymore's news letters, that a certain pickup(of which I can't remember to save my life) would give a better tone than any of the other pickups.
Seems like it might have been a reissue of an older pickup. Anyways, thanks for your replys.

Terry