| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mullen G2
Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 11:19 pm    

Well, I know everyone has different opinions about steel guitars and I appreciate and respect that, but I must say, I am 60 years old and have been playing steel guitar since 1956 and for my taste, I have never played a guitar that has affected me like the new Mullen G2. The more I play it, the better I like it. I was playing it today and discovered another thing that just blew me away. When checking cabinet drop on the E9th. In other words, playing the 4th string (E) and pushing the first two pedals, the meter on my tuner barely moved at all. I would say at the most, maybe 1 cent flat which to me is unbelieveable. I have never played a guitar in the past that I could say this about. Of course, this is still not why I play the G2, but just another great thing about it. The tone is of course the bottom line and this one has the tone and sustain and next it has the finest pedal action of any guitar I have ever played. I will shut up now, but I just can't say enough about this fine guitar, so if you haven't tried one, I suggest that you at least check one out.

Herby Wallace

Herby Wallace
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2008 12:30 am    

Hi Herby,

Over the years steel guitar mechanisms have improved tremendously.
The Blanton PSG was produced in the 60s--- To the early 80s and from day 1 had the easiest pushing pedals "BAR NONE". Just ask STU in Alaska. Smile
Time wise that seems almost ancient.

Roger
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2008 6:06 am    

Herby,
What is your opinion of the low end especially on the C6th neck. Is it warm, fat,etc.?
Rick Nicklas

Verona, Mo. (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2008 6:26 am    

Herby, I went to Jerry Newberry's a week before the Dallas show to try out the G-2. It did not take very long to fall in love with this guitar. I thought my Kline guitar had the smoothest pedals ever but the smooth mechanics and dead stops (even the knees) on the G-2 blew me away. I ordered a U-12 with the Franklin pedal split on two different knees. I just hope that middle G# comes back to pitch from the drop because that is a long stretch with the tuning peg being the furthest away on the right side. I've been used to a keyless for years and I have forgotten how to string up a regular keyed steel. Very Happy
Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2008 3:25 pm     G2

Scott,

Nice to hear from you. I was very happy with the tone of my HWP Mullen, but I think the tone of the G2 is a notch above it. I am very happy with the low end of the C6th. Of course, I use and prefer single coil pickups and I use the Revelation tube preamp, so warmth has always been an important factor to me. To be honest, I really didn't expect the G2 to be that much better until I tried it. In other words, I had to be convinced and believe me, I am.

Herby Wallace