| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paul Franklin on the Opry
Wayne Tyler

new castle de USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 3:55 am    

I saw the televised portion of the show with the Time Jumpers. It looked like the guitar Paul was playing was all wood with wooden necks? It was beautiful with inlay on the front apron and on the necks. Sounded great. What a great band and what else can you say about Dawn Sears. Love their sound
Tommy Alexander

Friendswood, Texas 77546
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 5:42 am     PF on the Opry

Wayne,
I did not see the opry, but if my old memory serves me right, Paul Jr. has owned this guitar for a long time; it was built by his Dad.
I think that Paul Sr. told me that the guitar is a special wood (not bird's eye maple), but an exotic wood called deep purple or something like that.
Maybe if Paul Jr. see's this, he might just jump in and emlighten us about the guitar.
I am not sure, but I think it's the same guitar pictured on his Christmas CD.
kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 8:02 am    

This could of been one of the best Opry shows ever if they had skipped Pickler & McCoy
Joe Drivdahl

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 8:38 am    

Kyle,
thats funny. Laughing

Neil is what he is - more entertainer than anything else, but at least he can sing on key. But I don't judge people by their sound on the Opry. That is probably the most stressful gig in the world, and it seems there are always mixing challenges, so maybe Kelly couldn't hear herself.

But the professionalism and experience really shows through when people like the Time Jumpers perform. The redheaded gal (sorry I don't know her name) can flat out sing. And she can do it on key, and with emotion. The whole band is top-knotch.

Loved it!

I just wish I could have heard Tommy and Paul better.

Joe
Andy Greatrix

Edmonton Alberta
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 11:26 am    

Also the other lady singer with the Time Jumpers was in tune, on time and a beautiful blend with Dawn.
I'm ashamed to say that I heard her name but forgot. ( I forget a lot lately.)
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 11:34 am     Re: PF on the Opry

[quote="Tommy Alexander"]Wayne,

I think that Paul Sr. told me that the guitar is a special wood (not bird's eye maple), but an exotic wood called deep purple or something like that. quote]

Tommy, would it be Purpleheart?
If so, it is a beautiful - purple- wood, close grained, smooth to the touch and very dense and hard, I would say like hard maple.
Ron !

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 11:52 am    

I would be a bit Leary of purple heart because it is a very very dry wood and conducive to splitting, checking and climatic changes. I've used it in some furniture and some yacht interiors...actually, some outdoor furniture as well. It "moves" differently than a lot of other woods but, it is very dense and hard. I suppose there is a way....It can be stabilized by baking it.If that guitar is made of purple heart then they have probably done that.

Ron
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 1:13 pm    

I remember Paul, Sr, talking about that at St Louis and if I remember correctly it was some type of Brazilian wood.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 2:46 pm    

Ron, yes in every case if you don't want wood to "move"
it has to be kiln dried or otherwise made "dead" ie the pores have to be totally voided of moisture.
Then, to preserve that condition, the wood has to be coated with a quality finish on all sides. Only then will it preserve its original shape.

Purpleheart is no worse than any other species. The only thing is, we are never sure about the kiln drying it underwent (or lack of it) in Brazil or wherever it came from. Your best bet to check if your wood will be stable is to check with a moisture meter. 6% moisture is good.
Kyle Everson

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 3:08 pm    

I didn't see the Opry, but if it's the guitar I'm thinking of, it has purpleheart aprons and necks and birdseye maple for the top. Both woods finished natural. Paul Sr. built it about 5 years ago. It's the guitar Paul Jr. used on the Martina McBride "Timeless" record.
Larry Gurley

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 4:08 pm     Pickler & mcCoy

Seemes to me, kind of a shame to belittle performers, who-ever they are to be on the Opry. Obviously, they got there due to talent. I agree , some of the new people on the show are not my favorites, However, if you were doing a backup role for them, YOU might have a different perspective!!!!!
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 4:33 pm    

Some basic info on purpleheart:
http://www.thewoodbox.com/data/wood/purpleheartinfo.htm
Larry Gerdeman

Missouri, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 7:45 pm    

I have an Emmons LaGrandeII that has a purple heart top. It was built in 1997 and there has not been any problems. If Paul's guitar is purple heart I would love to see it. It has to be beautiful. Larry
Skeeter Stultz

LOMITA, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 8:02 pm    

THE OPRY LAST NIGHT? NOW THAT'S PURE ENTERTAINMENT, PROFESSIONAL, AND MIGHTY FINE.

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 9:04 pm    

I believe that guitar has been used on quite a few recordings (backing various artists) in recent years! It has a very distinctive sound of it's own on recordings and can easily be distinguished from the standard Franklin guitar! It has a deeper/richer sound than most any other PSG I've ever heard!
Kyle Everson

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 10:35 pm    

Thanks for that link Barry. Amaranth is the word Paul used and I couldn't remember it to save my life.
Jim Walker

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2008 12:33 am    

Andy, Carolyn Martin is the other "lady singer". She's a very talented vocalist and I personally think her voice and personality fit the band perfectly.

The Other Time Jumpers that appeared on the Opry were as follows: Kenny Sears Fiddle / Vocals, Dawn Sears Vocals, Aubrey Haynie Fiddle, Rick Vanaugh Drum, Andy Reiss Guitar, Dennis Crouch Upright Bass, Jeff Taylor Accordion / Vocals, Paul Franklin Steel, and Part Time Jumper Vince Gill.

The Show will air again on GAC Tuesday April 1st at 8pm eastern, 7pm central and again at Midnight eastern and Wednesday morning at 7am eastern.

www.thetimejumpers.com

JW

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2008 12:58 am    

A bit of Trivia...

Time Jumpers Drummer Rick Vanaugh also appeared on Hal and Buddy's Bell Cove DVD and again with Time Jumper Dennis Crouch playing Upright Bass on Lloyd and Tommy's DVD An Evening of E9th!

JW

Mobile , AL
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2008 11:13 am    

Is this the guitar?

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2008 11:42 am    

Trap,
Yes, it's made of Amaranth.
It was built about 5 years ago. Paul has played it in St.Louis and on the "Timeless" cd. He's played it on many records.

It's a beauty! Thanks,
larry rose

Stanchfield,Minn
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2008 1:22 pm     Opry Music

The Opry on Saturday was the best in many a month.
I,m not a great big fan of Neals or for that matter Kelleys but I can actually remember the tunes they did which is a change . The Time Jumpers wow!!! One word can't describe them and Dawn Sears is fantastic and I just ordered a CD of hers.I thought the mix was excellent for a televised performance. Absoutely
studio quality
I hope Pete Fisher remembers this performance and follows up with like or similar ones. Petes reaction in the crowd was great to see also
Alan Kendall

Maury County Tennessee
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2008 1:37 pm    

I was absolutely mesmerized by the Timejumpers performance on the Opry. The musicianship of the whole band is absolutely awesome.
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2008 2:31 pm    

My husband Gregg Galbraith, said to me "I hope the Opry gets alot of e-mails about "The Time Jumpers"! Smile
Alan Kendall

Maury County Tennessee
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2008 3:41 pm    

What a good idea your hubby had Theresa.I'm going to e mail them right now and ask them to Please! Please! Please! have the Time jumpers back again soon.
Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2008 5:53 pm    

Are there any plans on another live cd/dvd?

Tony