| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Does it matter which amp?
Jim Hofman

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2008 3:24 pm    

When you play an acoustic electric guitar, is it better to go with a acoustic guitar amp, solid state guitar amp or a tube guitar amp? Does it really matter? I have a Crate Palomino V16, so I'm just wondering.
Stephan Miller

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2008 4:00 pm    

Those V16s are supposed to be pretty good. Not for an acoustic/electric, though. You'd want a dedicated (solid-state) acoustic guitar amp...
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2008 4:23 pm    

Huge difference using an acoustic guitar amp. I use a Behringer. Sounds outstanding and has feedback eliminators on it.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2008 4:38 pm    

I use a Fishman Loudbox. Great amp, but more expensive than the Behringer. I also have a Behringer, but I got a lemon. Can't turn master volume more than 50% without massive amounts of hum at almost the same level as the sound. Effects are so noisy they can't be used. I have seen others use the Behringer, and no problems (and they sound good too). I think I got burned from Elderly Instruments. The warmth meter also didn't work. It's sitting in the corner with some other crap. If you want a Behringer, buy from local store or an online store that has more than a 2 day acceptance policy (like Elderly does). The mic input on the Behringer is a nice touch.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 1:48 am    

The frequency range of an acoustic guitar is much wider than an electric.

So it needs a wider range speaker system to sound good.
It also has very different equalization needs,
so acoustic guitars work poorly in electric guitar amps.

SS is fine for acoustic guitars if it is voiced right.
Tubes can also be good IF they are designed more like a studio preamp than an electric guitar preamp.

An amp purpose built for an acoustic guitar will treat it right.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2008 5:22 am    

I think the best way to go is an acoustic amp of some sort but if you're low on bucks sometimes you can find one of those old Peavey (or other name) keyboard amps in pawn shops for little money which actually sound pretty good as they have the horn and speaker and you can get a pretty fair EQ for an acoustic/electric. I personally prefer going through the board of the PA set with a feedback buster in the soundhole and enough monitor to be heard. If you have to use a guitar amp, I think a solid state will work better!.........JH in Va.