| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New member / infant non-pedal steeler needs some advice!
Mark Giovanetti

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2008 10:52 am    

Howdy All!!

My name is Mark. I just joined the Forum this weekend. After wasting the last 30+ years playing fretted instruments (Swing/Blues guitar) I finally built a (very) rough 8-string lap at home about a month ago. I bought the Cindy Cashdollar CDs for a primer and have been having a GREAT TIME! I do have a couple of questions, though.

1) I play guitar 50% of the time with a flat pick and 50% of the time with my fingers. I was having REAL trouble using finger picks, so I have abandoned them in favor of my bare fingers. Is this an absolute no-no? Has anybody gone this route before?

2) Can you guys give me the low-down on flat wound vs. round wound strings? I've played round wound on my big body guitars my whole life. I see a lot of steels for sale have flat wound strings on them. Is that the way to go? FYI - I am shopping for a vintage D8 console (Fender, Gibson or Richenbacker).

Thanks a bunch!
Mark.

Last edited by Mark Giovanetti on 24 Mar 2008 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim Strawser

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2008 11:38 am    

Smile Hi Mark! Like you, i am a beginning lap steel player and Di'Addario Chrome Flat Wound strings were recommended to me, with the last two string being basic steel strings in .18 and .16 gauge. You might look up my post under String, Strang Strung and see the comments there. Like you I also am learning from DVD's such as Cindy Cashdollar. She is a great source. Dont give up on the finger picks, cause I also play guitar also. The best saying I ever saw was on a website and it said practice the 3 P's>>>Patience, Persistence and Practice. Good Luck and keep on keepin one!! JIM

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2008 11:41 am    

Welcome to the forum and steel guitar, Mark.

Lot's of steelers use only fingers to pluck, so do what works for you, but do try to get it on with the picks, as Jim mentions. It shouldn't be a problem.

Flats are quieter and give a spookier sound, which I prefer.

Check out the steel conventions and thier patrons for dbl. neck deals.
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2008 11:53 am    

I have been at this for about 3ish years, and I despise the sound from metal picks. I sometimes use plastic picks, mostly my fingers. If you like something, I see no reason to sweat it. I just like the sound better.
Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2008 12:24 pm    

welcome to the best forum around.
I started lap steel a few years ago. I use my flat pick and middle finger on lap slide. thatis how I play my stand up guitars, so I decided not to change. I have no problems. I haven't been critisized for playing that way.
use what works for you. I did not want to reinvent myself.

oh, I forgot to mention...I like using half rounds.
they really are smooth and sound nice.

Last edited by Randy Reeves on 24 Mar 2008 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Leach

Cheshire, england
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2008 1:07 pm    

Hi Mark,
I feel like an old timer on this forum now - I joined yesterday, though I've been playing steel for quite a few years now. I started using flat wounds but soon found I preferred the sound of round wounds, they cut through and sustain better.It depends on what sound you want to make. As my technique improved I found that the string noise of the round wounds dissapeared. I also found using finger picks awkward at first, but after a year of putting them on and taking them off I began to feel comfortable with them and can't play without them anymore. I think the answer is to persevere with them and then make your own mind up. We're all different, we all sound different - that's what makes life interesting.

Bill
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2008 1:13 pm    

Mark - What part of California do you live in?
Mark Giovanetti

Post  Posted 24 Mar 2008 1:30 pm    

Hi Bill,

I'm in San Jose.
Fred Bova

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2008 6:16 pm    

Hi Bill,
I also have been playing guitar for years. I have tried playing with finger picks many times and I just can't get used to them. They are awkward to play with as they disconect my sense of "feel" from the strings, and... they hurt. Many say that it is worth the work and pain in order to get the "sound" of playing with finger picks, but I prefer the sound of playing with my bare fingers so I have decided to stay playing with my bare fingers.

Just my 2 cents.

Fred
Bob Simons

Kansas City, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2008 5:49 am    

I spent 40 years training my right hand to play guitar properly and had to utterly destroy my technique to get used to finger picks when I took up steel. I tried playing without them, but without picks my hand was in the wrong position for effective blocking except with the finger tips. (I've found STOPPING NOTES is an issue guitar players new to steel usually are unfamiliar with due to the poor technique most guitar players get away with.)

I'd stick with the picks. Only took me 3 years to feel at all comfortable!!!

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2008 8:03 am    

My answer to bothof these questions is that it's a matter of personal preference. My advice is to experiment a little bit and find out what you like best.

Ocean City, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2008 8:47 pm    

Hello Mark,

I am also relatively new to steel guitar.

I've been playing regular guitar for over 45yrs. I use a flat pick for 75% of the time and just thumb/fingers for the rest.

When I started in on the steel I had a great deal of difficulty getting used to finger picks. With that said, the more I used the picks I became more accustomed to the feel. It was not easy at first, I know what you are going through.

Now I have no problem. Suggestion: Rick Alexander, who has contributed to this forum, has an excellent tip. He shows how you can use those little pads people use on eye glasses (to cushion the bridge of your nose). He uses them to pad the insides of the finger picks, nice tip.

I also have found the Cindy Cashdollar videos very helpful. Also, you might what to check out Rick Alexander's web site:

http://rickalexander.com

He has some very helpful instruction, well worth checking out.

Hang in there, the steel guitar is a wonderful instrument well worth the effort. Believe me I've logged many months practicing. There are rewarding times that make it all worthwhile.

Later, Bill
Pete Hunt

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2008 4:49 am    

When I started playing lap I used flat wound stainless Black Diamond strings and a thumb and 2 finger picks. After brief tries on electric standard guitar playing "Telestar" and "Wipeout" with flat pick, settled on acoustic guitar with thumb and 3 finger picks. For the last 35 years I've been playing lap, mostly country, country blues, R&B These days I use round wounds because they're to my ears better suited to the stuff my group is playing. I switch back and forth between using a thumb and 3 picks and no picks. With a group, I find it better to use picks-the sound stands up better. I usually prefer playing without them when alone. There are a bunch of things you can do in either condition that you can't do in the other- I can't do a "Churchlick" (swiping the strings with the backs of my fingernails for backbeat) in picks-they go flying across the room. Just this Saturday I was in the local music store eyeing new finger picks. They had bells and whistles, slots and holes, and aerodynamic computer-designed features, and cost about as much as my first guitar. I found myself thinking, "Maybe these would make it better.....".

Rick Alexander does have some great tips. This is a very generous forum.

I guess overall I'm echoing everybody else: experiment, play a lot and find what you like. Invent your own style.
Bill Thomson

Post  Posted 26 Mar 2008 6:23 am    

OOOOPS!!!

Almost forgot!!!

Bobbe Seymour has excellent instructional videos for non-pedal steel. Highly recommend!

http://www.steelguitar.net/

Check out his site. Rolling Eyes
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2008 9:32 am    

!!!

Last edited by basilh on 26 Mar 2008 6:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mark Giovanetti

Post  Posted 26 Mar 2008 1:17 pm    

Thanks All for your wonderful input. Since my plan is to gig eventually, it seems as though I should get used to the picks if I want to do this "right". I think the best approach might be to introduce those darn things one at a time. I'll start with the thumb pick tonight! Of course now I'm going to have to learn to play my fretted guitars with a thumb pick as I expect that I will be playing both type of instruments at gigs. Too bad I can't afford $10k for one of those things that Junior Brown plays!
Greg Quinlan

Brunswick, Maine, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2008 5:12 pm    

Hi Mark,

I'm also new to the forum and lap steel guitar. One thing I have learned from reading the posts here is that there is really no right way. Members of this forum are creative and are always trying out new things. Now I am the furthest thing from an expert, but what I like about this forum is that folks don't get hung up on right and wrong ways. They support and encourage you to experiment and find techniques and styles that you are comfortable with. If you don't get used to finger picks, don't worry about it! Good luck!

Greg
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2008 6:08 pm    

Quote:
I'm also new to the forum and lap steel guitar. One thing I have learned from reading the posts here is that there is really no right way

Not correct, there IS an accepted norm for most of the aspect of playing, just deviating for the sake of expediency isn't sufficient reason to ignore the accepted path.
George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2008 6:12 am     edit

edit

Last edited by George Piburn on 19 Jun 2012 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill Thomson

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2008 6:45 am    

Excellent tip!!!

Thank you George!!!
Bill Thomson

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2008 6:53 am    

Another reason this forum is such a wealth of information.

Head on over and check out:

http://www.georgeboards.com

Excellent source for steel guitar instruction.
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2008 10:20 am    

Mark, the videos that Bill mentioned are at http://youtube.com/rickalexander47

The "nose-pads" video is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGscybFcRxE

BIG STEEL
Mark Giovanetti

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2008 11:30 am    

Excellent tips George! I am truly inspired now. I'm going to work on this all weekend. Wifie's just gonna have to cook (for a change) and do her owe damn laundry this weekend!

Thanks Rick - I've already been all over your youtube lessons.

Viva la Forum!!
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2008 2:54 am    

Flat wound/tape wound strings sound dull on most guitars, steel or regular. I don't know why they make them.
Gerard Ventura

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2008 11:15 am    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cyQB3gE0xY&feature=related

Mr Seymour thumbpick only.