| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rusty Young not in S.G.Hall Of Fame. Why??
Barry Scott

San Diego, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2008 12:37 pm    

Thai morning I was browsing the forum links over coffee ( as usual ) and I happened upon the page for the Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame members. I was quite surprised to not see Rusty Young's name among the roster. Maybe I'm missing something, but he certainly should be there...IMO. I don't believe I read any names that weren't deserving...It's just his seemed conspicuously absent. Anyone have an opinion or maybe be able to offer info as to why?
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2008 12:48 pm    

Not being close to the process, I would venture to say the answer probably lies somewhere in and amongst these general reasons:

1) There is a large backlog of nominations and only 1 or 2 players are elected each year. It is even possible that Rusty has been nominated and is amongst the backlogged players

2) Or, it's possible that no one has yet done the extensive homework required to nominate him formally for the SGHOF.

3) Many of the nominating committee are more intimately familiar with the work of the 'classic country' steel players than with that of the 'country rock' players, but that has started to change, as evidenced by the recent elections of JayDee Maness, Bobby Black, Red Rhodes and, most recently, Sneaky Pete Kleinow to the SGHOF. I'm guessing they're not done working their way through the list (and certainly hope not!)

Last edited by Jim Cohen on 16 Mar 2008 1:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2008 1:25 pm    

I was on Utube looking at a whole bunch of Poco clips last night and I finally gave up after 8 or 10 different clips with NO Steel.
JE:-)>
Barry Scott

Post  Posted 16 Mar 2008 9:39 pm    

Jim. I understand that. BUT....it doesn't diminish his contribution or catalog thru the years...you're talking about a band who has recorded since 1970 and there is plenty of steel found on those recordings throughout the years. Because you may not find it on You Tube doesn't mean it's not there. I don't see Tyrannosaurus Rex walking about these days either but it doesn't negate that he was here. Rusty Young has done what he needed to do to keep the band going and employed and it may have meant to him that a change in direction was the necessary move. Let's see...ever hear "Kind Woman"? Or the entire 2nd side of the 2nd Poco lp? Never mind...the list goes on. I guess singers can't have made a mark unless you can find them on American Idol either. My apology in advance to you. I'm not in the best mood as I write.
Ric Epperle

Sheridan, Wyoming USA . Like no other place on Earth... R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2008 4:08 am    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7JSTHldGpE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDJS9uvcg6w&feature=related
and;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhwEsKgF8Cg&feature=related

Same song but three different times...

I liked Poco alot because of Rusty

Last edited by Ric Epperle on 17 Mar 2008 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2008 4:21 am    

Without trying to get flamed I would like to respond. There are many players not in the hall that deserve to be there and Rusty is one of them. Dickey Overby,Joe Wright,Wally Murphy,Jim Murphy,Buddy Cage, Bob Maickel,and Gene Fields are some others. They aren't being overlooked, I am sure. There can only be so many each year. It gets to me when these posts are made and it sounds like someones favorite player has been slighted. It takes time and I am content to wait and watch. I do know the paperwork has to be done first so if someone has a deserving player in mind they should contact the SGHOF and see if that has been done.
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2008 4:59 am    

I Believe Russ Hicks,who travels thousands of miles a year all over the Country and the world promoting and playing the Steel Guitar is long over due. Also lets not forget Sunny Garish.And there should also be a spot for Ham..Norm Hamlet...Theres still so many and this is great for the Instrument and the ISGA..Some may make it before others but its great there are so many still deserving. Sooner or later Scotty and the Committee will need a bigger wall. LaughingI also meant to add that some of our European brothers are very worthy also..
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2008 5:28 am    

There's also one other small factor.

Someone has to nominate them and do the paperwork.

Many of us wondered why Sneaky wasn't in the HOF - then we found out no one had ever nominated him. I was ready to start when I found out his daughter Anita had just completed everything. It's NOT a simple "fill in the blanks" form.

I'd guess most players don't know the process, and that's where the problem lies.

I imagine that just as it was with Pete, everyone assumes either 1) the committee "picks" HOF members, or if they understand the process they just assume 2) someone else has done the nomination work....the result being No ONE does the nomination paperwork. I'd suggest that anyone who feels strongly about a player's HOF qualifications and is familiar enough with the player's history take the bull by the horns and nominate him (or her).
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Barry Scott

Post  Posted 17 Mar 2008 5:41 am    

First....Jim Eaton. I can be an ass at times and my post in response to yours was an example of that. I'm sorry. I was fighting with my girlfriend just before reading your reply and just bad timing. ( I use the forum to tune her out alot ). Second...Craig Davidson. I did not start the thread because " my favorite player is being slighted", rather I thought it was just a glaring omission. But as you and others after have pointed out...there are alot of glaring omissions. By the way, my favorite steel player is Lloyd Green...no.... it's ....Tom Brumley.....no...it's Al Perkins....no...ANYWAY, again I feel bad about my tone of writing. Will someone get me a Hankey...I mean a hanky?
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2008 7:00 am    

My point Barry, and to you Joe, I can't believe I left those guys out.
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2008 7:32 am    

Barry,
It's cool! I was a bit brief in my post and perhaps should have explained that my point was that to a large part of the world, Rusty plays guitar or mandolin, because that is what they see on Utube.
Of course I'm aware of his work with Buffalo Springfield, that wonderful track he did on "Kind Woman". I have almost all of the early Poco stuff on "record" and several collections that have been released on C/D. "Suite Steel" - Awsome!
I was not slamming Rusty by anymeans, just pointing out that the current world of electronic junkies just might be missing out on some of his best work ever and I feel that it is their loss.
JE:-)>
MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2008 8:08 am    

IMHO, I don't think there should ever be another entry into the SGHOF until Julian Tharpe is inducted......just my opinion but I think a lot of us agree......JH in Va.

Jackson, Georgia US
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2008 9:05 am     Rusty Young

Guys, I saw Rusty in Atlanta on New Years Eve and he was playing his Carter single neck steel. Yes he does play guitar, mandolin, and dobro, but he played steel on probably six or seven songs.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2008 9:32 am    

Jerry Hayes wrote:
IMHO, I don't think there should ever be another entry into the SGHOF until Julian Tharpe is inducted......just my opinion but I think a lot of us agree......JH in Va.

You beat me to it Jerry.