| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  62" Checked Luggage Limitation
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2008 6:29 pm    

Horrors, Horrors ! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Preparing to fly to Birmingham, England via Amsterdam next Friday, I went onto the KLM website to check luggage allowance sizes, and the maximum free checked luggage size is 62". The case I had modified to take the lap steel I've just built has combined dimensions of 62 3/8", which means they would charge me $300 excess baggage. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Just taking some measurements, the lap steel itself is only 34" long, but the case is 42". It would have been nice to take the instrument in its case, but no case is worth the $300, so I'll either take it in a well-packed cardboard box, or in one of those padded travel bags that I use for regular guitars. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

It never occured to me that the case was over maximum allowed dimensions. If this is over, then most pedal steel guitars will be over. Sad

I decided to measure some of my other instruments. This is what I came up with (by case sizes).

Fender D8 PS 66",
MultiKord D8 PS 55",
Sho-Bud D10 Crossover PS 62 1/2",
Miller D10 63"

Of those 4, only the Multi-Kord in its case came within the limits. Sad

That's as far as I went. Looking at other instruments I have lying around I can tell that their cases must be over the limit.

How are other Forum members dealing with this? I feel sorry for anyone who has to do a lot of air travel with his PSG to earn a living.... Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad
Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2008 7:46 pm    

I just measured my GFI in its case (getting ready for a gig) and it's only 34" while my Asher in its gig bag is 42 1/2" and my Strat case is 41"

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2008 10:29 am    

Allan,I would take my chances...it's 3/8th's of an inch? tell them you measured it and it was 62".Stu Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2008 1:43 pm    

I fly with my lap steel in a gig bag and have never had problems taking as carry on baggage. Of coure, I never ask if it's ok. Smile
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2008 12:20 pm    

Stu Schulman wrote:
Alan,I would take my chances...it's 3/8th's of an inch? tell them you measured it and it was 62".Stu Winking

Good call, Stu. Here I am in England with the lap steel in its case. No-one even questioned its size or attempted to measure it. In fact on the flight from Seattle to Amsterdam one fellow had put a full-sized Martin in its case in the overhead compartment and no-one questioned it. I guess if you don't bring it to anyone's attention you've got a good chance of succeeding. Very Happy

I'm delivering that lap steel to Basil. On the return trip no-one will notice that I take a different steel home with me, one of mine that Basil has stored at his place. Very Happy

Must get to bed now, as the 8 hrs. jet lag is starting to take its toll. Rolling Eyes
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2008 8:02 pm    

Twayn Williams wrote:
I just measured my GFI in its case (getting ready for a gig) and it's only 34" while my Asher in its gig bag is 42 1/2" and my Strat case is 41"

Twayn, the 62" measurement is the LENGTH plus the BREADTH plus the DEPTH combined..
So your GFI in its case is 34" + ? + ? = ?
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2008 9:10 pm    

Alan,Good deal.I saw a guy a couple of months ago with a fairly large suitcase with/wheels and big enough to put about half a cow in it slam into the overheads,I thought that he had broken the plane...and they complain about a guitar?have a safe trip,Stu
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Barry Scott

San Diego, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2008 8:22 am    

Hello Alan. Great timing. I was just gonna start a thread on this yesterday because I am flying alot these days and have faced your problem size wise and also weight wise. But I think what I do will work for you just fine. My situation was/is this: Since I have not been playing steel guitar for many years like so many on the forum, I can't be without my steel for days on in without losing skills gained from my last practice session. Not long ago, I shipped my guitar ahead to meet me at my destination...a 9 day stay. Well, lucky for me Fed Ex. only destroyed the case...my B.M.I. guitar was fine. Well, knowing the size AND weight limitations with airlines I decided to purchase a Carter starter guitar to carry on. I put it in a sports gig bag made for baseball bats and it fits in every overhead compartment. Not only that, but much to my surprise, has never been questioned at the xray in security..or by anyone else!!! Now, you can't put baseball bats in the bag and get on the plane, but a steel guitar with metal legs and rods is A OK!!! Just wrap your lap steel in a beach towel, put it in the bag and you should be fine.