| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gibson BR-9 ID
allen purcell

Harts, wv usa
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2008 10:58 am    

Since they made them with no serial number,two types of pickups,smooth and rough finishes,there maybe a way to get closer to year they were made .
Not by the guitar,but by the lining in the case.I look at all the pictures I can find on the internet.I found two case liner colors[may be more as Gibson loved purple] red and black.
If you know the exact year of your Gibson BR-9 please reply with finish,poles, and the color of you case lining
Thanks Allen
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2008 12:27 pm    

I think you could date the guitar by the code on the vol & tone pots. I bought a BR9 in 1947, and the case was a chipboard type, not the hardshell types I see for sale with the guitar these days. I had a BR9 until 2006, which had a purple case liner, but didn't research the date it was made.
Mark Mansueto

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2008 5:46 pm    

I do know the year my BR-9 was made because it has a serial number on it. Mine was made the last year they were produced which was 1959. It has the rough finish with a P90 that has adjustable pole pieces.

My case is the hard rectangular one with brown lining. I've seen many BR-9's from different years and the only color lining that I have personally ever seen in a hard case is brown. I'm not familiar with other cases.