| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Common Ground Reso Week/Heffernan workshop
Dave Giegerich

Ellicott City, MD, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 May 2006 7:45 pm    

Hello,
I’ll be teaching the Resophonic Guitar class at Common Ground On the Hill from July 1-7. On the 6th and 7th there will be a 2 day workshop by Jimmy Heffernan.
Jimmy is a great player and teacher, and other teachers include Winfield champ Orrin Starr on guitar and Bluegrass legend Lester Woody on fiddle.
Common Ground is held on the campus of McDaniel College in Westminster, MD. Here’s the address for more info: http://www.commongroundonthehill.com/
Thanks,
Dave Giegerich
Dave Giegerich

Post  Posted 16 May 2006 9:08 pm    

Did I mention the free beer?
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 17 May 2006 3:27 am    

Wish I could make this one, Dave. Will you be intstructing 7 string G6 in the workshop? I don't suppose you'll be holding the 7am yoga workshop.......

Actually, the website is not the easiest to to navigate. Are you teaching on all of the days that you mentioned, and can you give us a little rundown of what you'll be teaching?

Thanks.

One other thing....can I get college credit if I attend? Maybe I can graduate Suma Cum Finally......

[This message was edited by HowardR on 17 May 2006 at 04:38 AM.]

seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 17 May 2006 8:45 am    

aloha Dave,
Wish I could come to that!! Would be a treat with both you and Jim. Have fun!

best,
Chris

------------------
Chris Kennison
Colorado
www.book-em-danno.com

Joseph Rush Wills

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2006 10:38 am    

FINALLY got to met Jimmy Heffernan last Saturday at Camp Jam in the Pines at Paradise Lake Campground. Jimmy's DYNAMITE on reso and banjo as well. He's a good friend of a good friend, but I had never met him.
It was a pleasure listening to him; he's a true professional musician. Anyone lucky enough to attend his classes is fortunate indeed!
Dave Giegerich

Post  Posted 25 May 2006 6:33 am    

Hi Howard,
There are 3 reso sessions every day. I'll be teaching 3 sessions a day, 2 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon from Monday-Wednesday. I've got to work out the details with Jimmy but I'd guess he would teach at least 2 sessions a day on Thursday and Friday and I'll be on hand to assist. If he does 2 sessions I'll probably teach the other one and focus on beginning-intermediate stuff for that class. There are also ensemble seminar/jam sessions the last period of each day so you can play with a bluegrass, old-time, Celtic or Latin group.

Since there is usually a wide range of skill levels in the class I try to teach a few songs a day at various levels of difficulty and go over some theory, licks, chop-building exercises, and approaches to playing in different situations. In addition I always try to include some one on one time with each student outside the scheduled classes.
If there is enough interest I'd be glad to teach some 7 or 8 string stuff during class, but most likely I'll address it in the one on one sessions since most of the students are 6 stringers and country and bluegrass oriented. I will do a Swing and Hawaiian 7 string demo in class to try to win new converts though!

Hi Chris, I enjoyed the Book 'Em Danno cd, we missed you at the Shenandoah Steel get together - a lot of the the gang from the kid's table at Joliet were there.
Joseph, thanks for the plug for Jimmy. I'm really looking forward to working with him.
Dave