| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobby Koeffer and Cindy Cashdollar ISGCJam Video
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2006 11:50 am    

Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2006 12:08 pm    

He has an interesting grip on the steel. Is that his style or something related to a physical ailment?
Casey Lowmiller

Kansas
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2006 12:39 pm    

Bill,

That is his style. It's not a typical steel...it's like a piece of angle iron or something. I also think he doesn't use picks either...if he does, I think it is only on his thumb...I could be mistaken.

It's all his style...which is impressive to hear & see first hand.

------------------
Known Coast to Coast as
"The Man with The Plan"

Fender Pedal 800, Fender Champion & a Homemade Double-neck!
Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2006 5:46 pm    

I had the opportunity in the 50's to meet Booby K. several times when he was with Billy Gray in Oklahoma. He only uses a thumb pick, and the bar is one similar to the old Elton tall kind with a thumb indentation in it. He told me then that he held it that way when he first started and felt comfortable with it.

Note the guitar seems to be the same one he used in the fifties. I had a blond Fender T-8 like his at the time, so I tried his tunings and also tried to steel all his licks.

He has a style and sticks with it!

Thanx,
Jim
Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2006 7:48 pm    

About a 3rd of the way through downloading the video, our Norton Anti Virus came on and stopped an Intrusion Attempt "Default Block Dmsetup Trojon Horse". Nice video tho...thanks
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2006 6:31 am    

Interesting Jesse. I have up to date McAfee protection and it detects no problem.

I'm going to post a question about this for Wiz, over in the COMPUTERS section.
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2006 9:30 am    

All I see is a flash object for that audio visual presentation. I can play it in Firefox, but not in Internet Explorer. I don't detect any malware, but then, I am running as a power user, not an administrator. A lot of malware requires Admin privileges to install, plus loose IE security settings. I have very tight security settings and do not run as Admin.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg
Moderator of the SGF Computers Forum
Visit my Wiztunes Steel Guitar website at: http://www.wiztunes.com/
or my computer troubleshooting website: Wizcrafts Computer Services,
or my Webmaster Services webpage.
Learn about current computer virus and security threats here.

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 17 May 2006 11:51 am    

That man has STYLE! I just found this video and did a search on the forum and found this thread. I was blown away by Bobby's approach and tone. Totally original - a breath of fresh air.
Greg Pettit

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 May 2006 5:42 pm    

Thanks for sharing. His style isn't what I'd personally "emulate", and my first impression was, "really? You guys think he's that good?" But then because I'm new to the instrument and figured the must be "something" to it, I had a few more peeks and you're right... that's a pretty interesting (and skilled, despite a couple timing errors) approach to the instrument. There's no way I even COULD emulate it if I wanted to.

Cindy's style is more what I would like to be able to achieve. I notice that she's using one of those "rings" on her bar/finger. My Ernie Ball won't accomodate one, but if someone considered a top pro like that can get away with it without being called a "cheater," I'm certainly going to look into it. I can't imagine fighting through 'lifting' techniques with the smooth slick bar I have, when there's an acceptable alternative.

Greg
Casey Lowmiller

Kansas
Post  Posted 18 May 2006 3:46 pm    

Greg,

The video isn't the best example of Bobby & his style...he's best experienced live & in person.

To hear it in person & see it in person is remarkable & you will quasi-fathom his unique style.

Seeing it on an amateur video doesn't do him justice...not to mention playing with other steel players.

If you get them man together with some of the old Texas Playboys...you'll think you've died & gone to heaven.

The man is amazing, original & often over looked.

------------------
Known Coast to Coast as
"The Man with The Plan"

[This message was edited by Casey Lowmiller on 18 May 2006 at 04:48 PM.]

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 18 May 2006 8:51 pm    

Casey, I'm glad you made that point, I took into account all those variables when watching the video. IMO, that high note he hits in the middle of his solo blows away everything else that was played during that tune. Talk about swingin'. It's about feel, and that man certainly has it - in spades.

[This message was edited by Chris LeDrew on 18 May 2006 at 09:55 PM.]

Casey Lowmiller

Kansas
Post  Posted 19 May 2006 1:06 pm    

Chris,

I'm glad that you agree. The man is truly amazing. The first time I watched him in concert, I wondered why the heck I had never heard of him before. I've known about Bobby for quite a few years...it was awhile until I saw him discussed here on the forum.

His playing is unique & beautiful and when you hear him play some of Bob's classics... especially in person...you'll probably stand there speechless while questioning your own ability to steel...I know I did.

To top it all off, he's super energetic & dances around & has a good ol' time. He's what true Western Swing steel is all about!

One time at a Texas Playboy reunion concert, I heard some stupid lady say she thought his steel playing was too loud & distracting. I've never been so close to smacking a total stranger!!!

The man is a national treasure who has been long overlooked.

------------------
Known Coast to Coast as
"The Man with The Plan"

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 19 May 2006 1:13 pm    

Greg, Cindy is NOT using an uh-oh-I-might-drop-the-bar-so-better-graft-it-on-to-my-finger device of any kind! It's just a ring on her bar hand finger, talent and years of hard work, man!

[This message was edited by Andy Volk on 19 May 2006 at 02:14 PM.]

Nathan Hernandez

Riverside, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2006 3:22 pm    

Man that T-8 custom cuts through.
Greg Pettit

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 19 May 2006 6:05 pm    

Andy,

Heh, I'd rather not drop my bar. I might be one of the minority that ends up being better off with a Shubb bar or suchlike for certain songs.

I'd definitely never ditch the round bar completely, though-- as far as I'm concerned even as a beginner, the sound of the vibrato (even when you're not intentionally "rolling" it) is simply completely different and wonderful.

Greg
Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 May 2006 5:33 am    

Every time I hear Cindy Cashdollar my respect for her grows. Bobby Koeffers technique looks strange, but I've thought about trying it on some songs, it's harder then you might think.

------------------
Howard