| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hello, introduction and question.
John Burton

Manassas, Va
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2008 6:46 am    

Hello,
I've been a long time lurker here and finally became a member. I really enjoy this site and it's been a great source of information. I've been a guitar player for a lot of years, but am new too steel playing. On Guitar I play mostly Travis style picking and fool around with honky-tonk flavored Telecaster a bit.

Most music I've been listening to these days has non-pedal steel. Patsy Cline, Hank, even some Collins Kids! Some early Chet Atkins and Merle Travis, basically all my old favorites have non pedal steel. So it was only natural that I got bit by the steel bug, and have been fooling around with C6 and E6 (Don Helms tuning per his wonderful book "Your Cheatin' Heart").

Now at the moment I have two okay Lap steels, (still deciding what too move up to in few months).

I have a maple Morrel "Pro" Six string, that's 23" scale and actually sounds really good. And a shorter scaled Rogue, that I like well enough but...the Pickup in the Rogue seems really "Microphonic". It picks up every tap of the finger pick.

What would you guys suggest as a replacement pick up for the Rogue?

Thanks!
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2008 12:00 pm    

Hello John,Welcome from Alabama,hang on some one will have an answer for you.DYKBC.

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2008 1:16 pm    

Any Stratocaster-style pickup should fit in that slot. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend and what sort of sound you want.
The discussion "Lipstick on my Rondo" mentions an inexpensive GFS pickup, but I haven't heard that one myself (yet).