| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Instructors in the Silicon Valley/San Jose Ca area
James Williamson

California & Hawaii
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2008 5:03 pm    

I'm a newbee at the lap steel guitar and would like to find a good instructor in the Silicon Valley/San Jose CA area, does anyone out there know of one?
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2008 11:37 am    

What sort of musical styles would you like to learn? Do you have any previous musical experience on another instrument?
James Williamson

California & Hawaii
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2008 12:13 pm     lap steel instruction

Brad,

Thanks for gettting back to me. I'm interested in Hawaiian and Blues acoustic lap steel ala Weissenborn styles. I have no experience on the lap steel whatsoever.

I have alot of guitar experience but most of it in the distant past. However, I've taken up slack key guitar in the last year or so and am coming along.

Bill Leff from Santa Cruz has offered and I think I'll check out his styles. He can meet me in the south bay as he works there.

Looks like you're in the city so might be too far for me...but if there's someone good up there I could come up a time or two just to learn from them. For now, I'm just a beginner.
John Bushouse

Post  Posted 16 Feb 2008 1:23 pm    

Bill was recommended to me by Bob Brozman when I lived in San Jose. I ended up taking lessons from Allan Dodge. I'm not sure how many students he takes on, but he is an encyclopedia of Hawaiian and early jazz/popular music.

Brad, if he has any spare time at all, would be an excellent teacher. His obvious enthusiasm with the instrument, plus his knowledge (and desire to play) everything from expirimental rock (IIRC) to Hawaiian, are excellent qualifications.
James Williamson

California & Hawaii
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2008 12:35 pm     Instructors in the Silicon Valley/San Jose Ca area

Thanks John (and Brad),

I'm going to take Bill up on some pointers to start out with and see where it goes from there.

This forum is really helpful.