| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Last Stringmaster?
Frank Welsh

Upstate New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2006 2:49 pm    

Hello to all. New member here and I have a story that I hope might be of interest.

After waiting two years back in the early seventies for a double neck Rickenbacker that I ordered new from Rickenbacker (after all, they had a catalogue of steel guitars in 1971), I wrote Rickenbacker president Francis Hall that I was tired of waiting without any word from his company and that I would turn to Fender instead. He wrote back informing me that he had one double neck left in the factory, but in walnut with the short scale, not the longer scale in blond that I wanted. Also, he had no legs on hand but could "ship them later on" (to Manny's in New York City).

I wrote him "forget it! (Yes, I know, don't say it!)

I changed my order to a three neck blond Fender stringmaster through Manny's and seven months then passed by. I got annoyed and called the Fender factory myself. The manager I spoke to apologized and said he would get right on it. He was "shocked" that I had been waiting so long without any word. A few days later, Manny's called and said the guitar had arrived (amazing, eh?). This was in January of 1974.

I enjoyed that Stringmaster very much, but sold it in 1983 through a local dealer (it went to Texas) to fund other music "needs" including many lap steels and a few student type pedal steels (YES, I know...don't say it, please!)

Is it possible that I got the last stringmaster made by Fender?

Be gentle, please.
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2006 7:54 pm    

Frank,
I believe the Stringmasters were made up until about 1981 or '82. I'm sure there were still a few available after yours.

Why don't you try to get you another one. Here's the one my wife just bought back in November.

[This message was edited by Nick Reed on 05 May 2006 at 08:56 PM.]

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 6 May 2006 3:14 am    

Frank
I read your post and it is quite possible that you have the very last stringmaster ever manufcatured, because I was the Fender Salesman that called on Manny's during that time. You may have dealt with the owner Henry
Goldrich who was Manny's son as Manny who was the founder passed away back in 1967.

I recall how Henry kept after me to get this guitar for a customer.
Frank Welsh

Upstate New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2006 5:04 am    

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, Jody, Henry helped me with many purchases including the Stringmaster one. I actually traded in an S-10 Sho-Bud pedal steel (entry level 3+ 1 model but beautiful maple finish) towards that Stringmaster and Henry kept saying "You're crazy."

That Fender manager said he would go over to the production people and yell at them for not filling the order. This was early January, '74.

In my nightmares, I fear I may have turned down the last Rickenbacker steel (double neck anyway) at the factory. I had the letter from Pres. Hall that it was the last one.

But what did any of us really know back then (LOL)??
Frank Welsh

Upstate New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2006 5:12 am    

Jody, I bet that was you I spoke to on the phone at Fender. I was surprised at how fast the guitar arrived after my call...less than a week, I believe.

I do have a brown Fender Deluxe Six in excellent shape that I play a lot, though I am now using a Carter S-12 Universal I recently got as a gift.

If that was you, it's good to "talk" to you again! And thanks for giving the production people a "kick."
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 6 May 2006 7:38 am    

I had one that was dated 1976, I think Cindy Cashdollar has it now. I also had a factory black one that was dated 1978.
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 6 May 2006 9:54 am    

Yes I guess cause Henry and all Fender dealers would have had to call me at my office (home). Seems like a miracle.Who would have ever know all these years later.

BTW Manny's is now owned by Sam Ash Inc, and Henry is living in Tahoe.Thanks my friend and good luck.