| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Windows Vista premium
ESnow

Berryville AR USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2008 11:08 pm    

Does anyone know of any recording softwear that will run on windows vista premium? I have SawPro,vegas sound forge and cool edit but vista won't run the whole programs. Vista came on my dell laptop but it seems most older programs won't run on it so I'd like to find program I can record with on vista. thanks, Eddie
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 1:28 am    

I've been using Reaper on Vista. The Reaper website has the Vista driver for download.
John P. Phillips

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 3:21 am    

BIAB seems to work well on my VISTA home basic !
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 4:17 am    

Sound forge on Vista
http://en.utilidades-utiles.com/download-sound-forge.html
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 4:53 am    

I have Cubase LE, that came with a new Alesis io26 firewire recording interface. It runs on Vista. I also have a copy of Cakewalk Music Creator 4 (similar to Cubase LE) and it runs on Vista.

The free Audacity recording program works on Vista. If a program runs on XP almost all will run in Vista. If it's an old program that was used on the DOS based Operating Systems (e.g. Win98, Win ME) most likely it won't run. You can try to run those in a compatibility mode, but my experience has been if it won't run in the native XP or Vista mode it won't run in a compatibility mode.
Don Poland

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 9:33 am    

Sonar 5 Producers Edition runs on my Vista laptop fine.
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 4:30 pm    

Vista is not ready for public release yet,it's c**p
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2008 3:41 am    

Vista runs excellent on my Dell PC that was delivered with (XP)Media Center and upgraded. I have never had a "blue screen" with Vista, it runs faster than XP did, all my software that I had running on XP runs with Vista (except Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 and it was even flakey on XP but that's typical Roxio). My peripherals that I had on XP are all Vista compatible. My old SoundBlaster Audigy 2 sound card is Vista compatible.

The only reason many say it's bad is because some of their old software or hardware is not compatible or their PC or PC hardware is not Vista ready.

I've worked in computers/PC's and managed a Help Desk (until I retired) and we heard the same thing about every software release - e.g. when we went from DOS to Windows 3.1 we heard it was garbage, when we went from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 it was crap, when we went from Win95 to Win98 it was bad, to Windows ME it was junk, when we went from ME to Windows XP it was "the worst operating system" and now going from XP to Vista the same old story. Vista is only bad if the user wants to make it bad or is not adaptable to managing changes.
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2008 4:01 am    

Interesting bit on Vista...
[url]
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=8&threadID=195233&start=0[/url]
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2008 9:33 am    

Those are typical posts by those that hate it for valid or invalid reasons. If you have applications that won't run in Vista or hardware that won't run then it's "crap".
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2008 10:11 am    

Jack, Microsoft are abandoning it in favour of Windows 7 Milestone. My son has a top job with IBM and they were told the Vista was going the same way as MS.
[url]
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Introducing-Windows-7-Milestone-1-Build-6-1-6519-1-76873.shtml[/url]
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2008 5:16 pm    

I found the windows mail program that comes bundled with Vista was very problematic - I had nothing but issues with it and eventually it just stopped working. So I had to install a 3rd party mail programme which runs just fine with Vista.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2008 4:10 am    

Vista is only "bad" if you want to make it bad or if you have incompatible software and hardware.

Major corporations and government agencies are always slow to upgrade, as the costs involved in migrating or upgrading applications, if needed, to run on the new Operating System. Training costs are also a factor. I worked as a LAN/WAN Network Manager and Hardware Help Desk Manager for SSA and was the Mid-West manager (had everything west of the Mississippi to the Rocky Mountains) and was deeply involved with the systems. The costs, when we went from DOS based PC's and operations to Windows (3.11) and LAN based systems were enormous. Consider that SSA's current environment is 55,000 (yes 55K) workstations (PC's) and each one would have to be upgraded, which means a license ($$) for the Operating System for each one and you can see why corporations are very slow to migrate to new Operating Systems. You would think a computer company such as IBM would be quick to adopt to new operating systems but they are the same way. I dealt with IBM on an almost daily basis and they were still using a lot of DOS based and OS/2 systems when Win95 came out.

You can't use corporations (or government agencies such as I mentioned) as a basis for whether something is good or bad.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2008 4:08 am    

My wife has a real estate business. She bought a new computer with Vista on it and it turned out to be awful. Took it back. She has much better luck with XP.
Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2008 10:03 am     Re: Windows Vista premium

ESnow wrote:
Does anyone know of any recording softwear that will run on windows vista premium? I have SawPro,vegas sound forge and cool edit but vista won't run the whole programs. Vista came on my dell laptop but it seems most older programs won't run on it so I'd like to find program I can record with on vista. thanks, Eddie

I'm using Adobe Audition 1.0 and it's working fine.

So far my experience with Vista is neutral. I agree with Jack: most of the problems people are having is with programs or drivers not being Vista compatable. Vista is also a resource hog so when folks try to upgrade on an older computer, they may not have enough speed or ram for things to work properly. I have a new Dell that came with Vista installed.....everything works well.
My biggest issue with Vista is more one of philosophy. I want an OS to be there but not dominate the computer. I really didn't have complaints with XP, or Win 98 for that matter. So for me it's hard to justify a OS which has 3x the footprint.
Joe Yednasty

CA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2008 3:35 pm    

Cubase LE is running just fine on my Dell with Vista Premium.
Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2008 8:24 am     Cubase LE works for me!

I got a copy of Cubase LE with my Tascam US-144, it works quite well with Vista! getting drivers from Tascam was another story, but not MS fault. I have to concur with Jack on this one, every OS released is considered to be junk until the hardware & developers catch up with it, then it's great until the next upgrade. FWIW the only thing keeping me on Windows is recording software, as soon as I can find a reasonably friendly recording package for Linux, I'll switch all of my machines & probably never look back. Ubuntu rules! Devil
Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2008 10:16 pm    

I bought a Lexicon Lambda audio interface unit that came with Cubase LE4. It works very well with Vista.
I also put back on this new Vista PC, MYST.

What is Myst? A screwy mind-bending freak-ride enigma type of non-interactive game. I bought it back when I had Windows 95, and Myst only will run in a '95 format.

I had initial trouble with Vista and Myst, but I went into COMPATIBILITY and at 1st, clicked on XP. That did not work. Then I realized there were more 'compatible' options, '95 included.

Anyway, I got Windows '95 Myst to work on Vista.

But, and Jack knows my feelings, Vista is a strange and new world, and I'm not quite happy with it, as yet. But, slowly, it's coming around, I guess.

There's just a lot of tweaking you have to do, right off the git-go. Otherwise, Vista will drive you bonkers.

FWIW Wink