| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C pedal question
Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 2:42 pm    

Sorry if this has been covered before, but just a quick ? before running off to rehearsal night:

Is there a technical or musical reason why the C pedal does not also raise the 8 string E to F# like it does with the 4th string??

Thanks!

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 3:08 pm    

Twayn,your C pedal should raise 4th string E to F sharp,the 5th string B to C sharp,that's all.Some may have different pulls,but I think this is the norm.DYKBC.

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 3:19 pm    

I raise my 8th with the C pedal along with the standard pulls. I kept hearing its applications in my playing so I decided to add it. It opens up some different sounds which I have really enjoyed.
Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 3:50 pm    

Having the 8string E-F# together with the 2pulls on string 4&5 will make the Cpedal harder to play but most important IMO is that you no longer can play the dom9th voicing on strings 10 8 6 5 w B+C & E's lowered. Notes = B Eb A C# = B9 on open strings. If you never play 4voiced chords or don't mind that the C pedal is a little harder to play then change the setup to suit your style of playing.
I do like the 8 string E-F# but I have it as a single string raise on an additional knee-lever (RKR2) so I can combine it split tuned w E's to Eb on LKR so I get F on the 8 string and Eb on the 4th string at the same time. Best of both worlds.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 5:43 pm    

I have the extra 8th string pull on the C pedal of my Zums and it isn't any harder to push than without it!

It is worth having for the extra voicings it provides in my opinion.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 10:00 pm    

I tried it for a while and didn't like it. It made the pedal stiffer for a change that I didn't really need.

If you always stomp B+C together you might not notice the difference, but if you hold the B pedal and rock the C a lot, the extra pull is harder on the ankle. I know, I'm a wimp. Oh Well

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2008 9:25 am    

Same experience as b0b... and it didn't make me sound any more like Paul Franklin Jr. Smile
Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2008 10:57 am    

Bengt Erlandsen wrote:
Having the 8string E-F# together with the 2pulls on string 4&5 will make the Cpedal harder to play but most important IMO is that you no longer can play the dom9th voicing on strings 10 8 6 5 w B+C & E's lowered. Notes = B Eb A C# = B9 on open strings.

I won't know if I'll mind a stiffer pull till I put it on! Very Happy That's an interesting dom9th voicing, but frankly I'm not sure I would be using it at this point in my playing development. Hmmm. I'm going to have to think about this some more when I can sit down behind the guitar.

Thanks everyone!

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2008 11:48 am    

I raise 4 and 8 together on the C pedal. It's a little stiffer, but I like the sound of that pull. It also resolves a JI tuning problem with the F# on string 7. I tune string 7 to sound good as part of the B chord with strings 1, 2, and 5. I am then free to tune the 8th string C-pedal stop to sound good as the root with the B and C pedal F#m chord.