| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I long 4 my 6117
Delvin Morgan

Lindstrom, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2008 1:58 pm    

Back in the 70's I had a Gretsch 6117 that I foolishly sold, hey I had to eat. Crying or Very sad Question is now, which of the new Chinese imports sound and feel as good as my old 17? Anyone try that new 5122 for $695? I just wish I could find an old 17..... for a good price.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2008 3:44 am     Re: I long 4 my 6117

Delvin Morgan wrote:
Back in the 70's I had a Gretsch 6117 that I foolishly sold, hey I had to eat. Crying or Very sad Question is now, which of the new Chinese imports sound and feel as good as my old 17? Anyone try that new 5122 for $695? I just wish I could find an old 17..... for a good price.

The new Gretsch guitars that are made in Japan are actually made better than the old New York ones. The old ones bring more money in the collector market, but that does not mean they are better guitars. I have fixed a lot of old Gretsch guitars. If you could see the neck pocket on these you would understand why so many of them need the neck repitched. They are not made to close tolerances at all.

Find you a Japanese made reissue 6117 for a good price and you will be happy with it.