| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gretsch G5700
Dan Miller

North Reading, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2006 1:54 pm    

Hey Folks,

I have a quick question for you that a bandmember of mine wanted me to ask. Over the past few months the two of us have developed a real interest in lap steels and in researching what type of lap steel to buy as our first.

I've decided to go with one of Loni's designs (aero) but my friend works at a mom and pop shop and can get a discount on the one model they sell, the Gretsch G5700. Now, as new models go, we know this isn't "the best" but since he gets a discount nad it's in his proce range, it makes sense for him to go this route.

Are there any modifications he can make that would improve the sound of the gretsch? Does anyone out there have one and like it? Thanks for your help!

Dan (and John - who will be joining the forum soon)

Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 10 Apr 2006 1:57 pm    

One word.

Don't.
Dan Miller

North Reading, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2006 2:29 pm    

Hey Bill,

Yep, I was researching the model on this forum and thought I might get that response. I recall you mentioning in a post that you had one, is that right? Is it just poorly made? Is the pick-up no good?
Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2006 8:17 pm    

I tried one in a store a while back. The strings were somehow all wrong. I liked the tone OK. It was very bright. Nothing to write home about, but acceptable. I found the string spacing was too close and the heights were as if somebody put it togeither without knowing what a steel was. I recall thinking that it would have needed about 150$ of work to be playable. For that you can buy a cool vintage one.