| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud Pro I
James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2008 10:04 am    

Is a pro I generally a pretty good guitar ? I have chance to buy one today for a little under 1500. Its a natural wood color and has 3X4...Are these pretty good guitars ? I play an Emmons and have never messed with a sho-bud but I am thinking I might buy this one....Thanks for any input....James
Mike Shefrin

Post  Posted 23 Jan 2008 11:44 am    

There are good ones and then not good ones. You'll definitely have to play it to see how it sounds first. I've heard some of those Pro I guitars that have absolutely gorgeous tone. I'm in the market for one myself. Good luck, and I hope it's a good one if you get it. It might need some work although for the price you mentioned it sounds like a very good deal.
James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2008 11:53 am    

Thank you for the information. I just came back from looking at this guitar and I am not at all interested in it. I didnt like the way it played or the way it looked. It needs work and I dont have the time or the knowedge to mess with it. I actually want a newer guitar anyway. I might sell my Legrande and go back to a GFI or Carter....James
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2008 6:12 pm    

$1500 is too much for a pro I.....they'll work but pretty low tech. if you have a legrande, what's your problem....that as good as anyone needs.
Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2008 8:02 pm    

chris ivey wrote:
if you have a legrande, what's your problem....that as good as anyone needs.

Tone, my boy. Pure, unmitigated, unmatched, tone... IF it's one of the good ones. It must be tried to see.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2008 8:29 pm     Tone?

Hey Michael,
I thought tone was in the hands or in a black only guitar..............sorry, couldn't pass that one up!
Just kidding! I'll go back to my cage now.
Wally
Casey Lowmiller

Kansas
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2008 9:57 pm    

Some Pro-1s have it...and some don't. If you find one that has it...you better keep it.

Mikey D. know's his stuff when it comes to steels!!!

Casey
James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2008 5:39 am    

Micheal, thank you for the input. The pro I went to play was not in very good shape in my opinion. Compared to ones I have seen on this forum for the same money, this one might be a deal at say 850 bucks, but not the 1200 he would take.

Chris, Thanks for the information. My problem is, I have been playing long enough to want to experiment with other guitars, which I have been doing. I have played GFI, Carter, BMI, Emmons and Sho-bud. As for the sound I can produce, I like the Emmons Lagrande I have now the best. However, I am 6 foot 5 and I have a size 13 foot. The pedals on the Legrande are short and my feet hit the rods if I get them in a position that allows for proper A&B pedal use. If I move my foot away from the rods, then I can’t get completely off the A pedal when I try to roll my foot and, it puts me at such an angle I can not move to the B&C pedal with any speed at all. I asked Bobby Bowman about that when he went over the guitar at the time I purchased it and he told me that was the only size pedals for the Legrande. He suggested I experiment with differnt positions and see if something would work. I have been playing it nearly 10 months I would guess, and its just not comfortable, I have only kept it because it sounds so nice. I never had this problem with a GFI or a Carter. So, basically, I am thinking I want to go back to a GFI SD-10 or Carter SD-10. I hate to let the Emmons go, to me, it sounds good even to a a guy like me with less then 2 years experience playing. But it is physically very difficult for me to play with feet up in the rods all the time….James
Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2008 2:45 pm     Re: Tone?

Wally Taylor wrote:
Hey Michael,
I thought tone was in the hands or in a black only guitar..............sorry, couldn't pass that one up!
Just kidding! I'll go back to my cage now.
Wally

Wally, although in jest, and well appreciated, you do bring up a point here. While the overall tone is affected by many things in the chain, and the hands being the "significant" factor considered by many, there is an inherent tone that can be identified sometimes by the guitar. As, while a Tele can sound good or bad depending on who's handling, the basic inherent Tele tone is known.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2008 2:55 pm    

I have had 5 Sho-Buds and the best sounding was the pro 1 If only I knew then what I know now it would have been a keeper, the Super Pro had better pedal action but if the top players could play them so can you...
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2008 5:20 am    

My Sho-Bud S-12 I believe is a Pro 1 model 6160. It's got the 2 hole puller,double raise and only single lower, tear/drop knee levers. It's been to hell and back as some of you forumites know.....still sounds sweet as a nut Smile

Micky Byrne United Kingdom