| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What type of pickup is this?
George Kovolenko

Estero, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2008 11:43 am    

.... and how do you adjust it. I see these pickups on a lot of steels (Valco's, National's, etc.) This one is on a 1960 Silvertone. I'm using C6th tuning and the "A" string (3rd hi to lo) volume is quite a bit lower than the other strings. The set screws can be turned or adjusted but I don't want to touch them unless I know that will fix the problem. I also have a new set of Rick Aiello's BiBros on it. Origianlly, the guitar had one magnet and 1 slug. The NiBros' imporved the tone and sustain but didn't have any effect on the A string volume. I've also swapped the magnets around, flipped them over etc. but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

George

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2008 12:02 pm     Re: What type of pickup is this?

George Kovolenko wrote:
I'm using C6th tuning and the "A" string (3rd hi to lo) volume is quite a bit lower than the other strings. The set screws can be turned or adjusted but I don't want to touch them unless I know that will fix the problem.

One "coil feeds the first three strings" ... so if the E and C are OK ... then that coil is OK ... so bring that pole piece up ...

Quote:
I also have a new set of Rick Aiello's NiBros on it. Origianlly, the guitar had one magnet and 1 slug. The NiBros' imporved the tone and sustain but didn't have any effect on the A string volume. I've also swapped the magnets around, flipped them over etc. but to no avail. Any suggestions?

"Like" poles (either both "Norths" or both "Souths") need be facing "up" ... repelling poles ... doesn't matter which ... or they won't work well ...

But even with the magnets in correctly ... that pole piece needs to be set if your A string isn't "puttin' out" ...

Its just a screw, can't hurt anything ...

So ... Screw 'em ... Screw 'em all ...

To Get the best output for each string ... thats why they are there

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Max Laine

Pori, Finland
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2008 12:49 pm    

Just be careful if the screw is stuck, you might damage the screw... If it doesn't turn easily, try releasing it with some WD-40 or similar...
George Kovolenko

Estero, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2008 6:23 am    

I'm going to try to adjust the pole today. Can I use a meter on the output jack to measure the output level?

Rick, now that you mention it, there is a definate problem with the 3rd string but the lower 3 strings seem to have more power than the upper 3. If for some reason the coil is damaged, is this something that can be fixed or do I need to look for a replacement?

Thanks,

George
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2008 6:44 am    

You don't need a meter ...

Take the yolk plate (top cover off ... as in the second photo above) ...

As long as my NIBros are in place ... there will be plenty of juice to set the pole height.

First ... make sure the magnets are in place (properly oriented ... "like poles" pointing up).

Then get a small screwdriver ... and do this ...

Plug into the amp ...

Pick a string ...

Then turn the volume off on the steel (or when the screwdriver hits ... it'll make a big sound)

Then raise the pole piece a tad ... using the screwdriver.

Bring the volume back up ... and pick it again.

Repeat for all the strings ... until you are satisfied with the output/balance.

Trial and error ... till you get them all where you want 'em ...

Once they are set ... put the yolking cover back on (again, turn volume off) ...

And do any "fine adjustments" ... if needed ... by putting the screwdriver thru the little holes in the cover.

And as Max pointed out ... if the screw poles are tight (rusted) ... a small drop of penetrating oil will lossen them up ...

As far as repair ... if needed ... Jason Lollar can do it ...

The pickup is two coils (oldest ones had 6 coils) ... one for the bass strings ... and one for the treble.

They are wired in series ... so if one coil shorts ... all the strings will suffer or be dead.

From your description ... it sure sounds like a "pole height thang" ... not a bad coil.

Even if this unit was "freshly rewound" ... this type of pole piece height adjustment ... would still need to be made ...
George Kovolenko

Estero, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2008 10:03 am    

Ahhh.... Success!!!!! and a big Thank you as well...

Had to turn it a couple of full turns but now it sounds great. I also fine-tuned the other strings as well.
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2008 3:37 pm    

Mr. Green