| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Scematic Session 500 needed/Mike B ?
Bas Kapitein

Holland
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 4:32 am    

From the widow of a old friend steelplayer I got a Session 500 that spent the last twenty years in its flightcase. As most humans would do if that would happen to them. It died. When I plugged in the Session, it blew the fuse (and the next 2) instantly.
The mecanic that I consulted, likes to have a schematic before he starts looking. I mailed Mike Brown and also left a private message on this board. On both I got no reply so I must be doing something wrong because Mike always seems to respond instantly here on the forum. Or he cannot help me because I am a from Europe.
So maybe there is someone else out there that has a schematic?

Bas Kapitein, Amsterdam
Bob Lawrence

Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 6:08 am     check my website

GO to the schematic and mods section. URL is below.
Franklin D10, Telonics (E9)True Tone(C6) pickups, Fender Steel King , Evans (FET 500LV), Nashville 400, Quilter MicroBlock 45 amp's, Telonics FP100 volume pedal, PodXT(effects only), Boss RV3(delay & reverb),Steel Guitar Black Box,Bill Lawrence cables, Walker Seat,Peterson Flip Tuner, IVL Steel Rider, IK Multimedia IRig Pro DUO for recording.

Last edited by Bob Lawrence on 8 Dec 2007 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 6:16 am    

The most common cause is a leaking or shorted output transistor. Rarely a diode in the power supply or a filter cap can be shorted.

Been there and fixed several Peavey amps (Nashville 400 and 2 each Session 400 amps) and even a Webb with the same problem in the last month.
Bas Kapitein

Holland
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2007 3:52 am    

Thank you Ken, That is exactly what the repairman said, but he still likes to have a proper schematic.

Thank you Bob, I tried your link but thats not a schematic but a printboard layout and not what I am looking for. But there is a whole lot of other information on that site so I bookmarked it for future reverence. Nice of you to share all that stuf

Bas
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2007 9:23 am     Schematic

Bob beat me to it. Thanks for the help.
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2007 10:31 am    

Bas,
If you have not found a print yet, email me , and I will send what I have.I can send to you in a zip.

Bill
Bas Kapitein

Holland
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2008 7:46 am    

The session came back to life. Seems like Kens diagnose was completely correct.
The schematics I got , thanks to you guys, helped very much, but most have been of the later model, I got the very first model 1980. But my amp-mecanic fixed it anyway. He did not think a cap upgrade was needed because he thought the amp had not seen much action in its first life at all. Because he is a telecaster-player and has not heard a life-steelguitar in his whole life (this is Europe remember) I don’t trust his judgement on this. I like Ken’s opinion on this. Do parts age also when they are not in use.
Remember I cannot sent this amp across the ocean for a check or an upgrade, but I sure like your opinion.
Thanks for all the help.