| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Bud Super Pro scale length?
Andy Schick

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2008 3:43 pm    

I have a Sho Bud Super Pro with Alu necks.
The scale length is 24.25. Is this common and where can I purchase replacement boards?
Regards
Andy
Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2008 9:52 pm    

You might want to recheck your measurement. To the best of my knowledge, all Super Pros had a 24 inch scale.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2008 1:31 pm    

Mine has a 24" scale.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2008 1:31 pm    

Duplicate post.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2008 1:59 pm    

Andy, you scared me there for a minute..I modeled my home built after the Superpro and drew my fretboard to a 24" scale length...
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2008 2:33 pm    

I think I remember Bobbe saying something awhile back about there being a couple SuperPro custom jobs that had a longer scale. Sho-bud was always doing custom stuff...and Lloyd Green's famous LDG has a longer scale.
Andy Schick

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2008 6:36 pm    

I have been detailing my new gently used Sho-Bud Super Pro, and I needed to replace one of my fretboards. I tried new Bradshaw fretboards and at that time I realized that they were the wrong scale length. I quadruple checked it, my guitar is a 24.25" scale length. I am now in the position of looking for new or gently used fretboards (black and white only) that would work on my guitar.
Any information on these custom Super-Pros would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Andy
Clyde Lane

Glasgow, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2008 7:11 pm    

I know of one 24.25inch scale Super Pro. Do a search under George Edwards and you will find the topic.

You can get the fret boards from Jeff Surratt at Sho-Pro. A few months back I got two 24.25 inch Sho-Bud fret boards from him for my Williams D-10.

Britain
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2008 10:12 pm    

Or make your own.

Here's how to calculate the fret positions:

Divide scale length by 1.0594623,
(or multiply by 94.3875%)
to get 1st fret position, then divide the remaining length by 1.0594623 and so on.
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 14 Jan 2008 1:32 am    

Andy Schick...
Quote:
I quadruple checked it, my guitar is a 24.25" scale length.
OK Andy your Sho-Bud's bigger than ours. But you haven't heard from people who have measured their Johnsons and willies.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2008 8:36 am    

richard burton wrote:
Or make your own.

Here's how to calculate the fret positions:

Divide scale length by 1.0594623,
(or multiply by 94.3875%)
to get 1st fret position, then divide the remaining length by 1.0594623 and so on.

Thanks Richard! This is the first time I have seen it in writing. I wrote it down...just in case Smile
How did you arrive at that formula, or did you learn it from somebody who knows?
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2008 11:14 am    

Bent,
I'm ashamed to say that I worked it out by trial and error, with a pocket calculator Embarassed

I learned (from the forum) that the magic number was the twelfth root of two, but had no clue how to calculate it.

So I got my calculator, and took a stab at a number, something like 1.1, and multiplied it by itself twelve times, to see how near to the number two I was.

Eventually , by trial and error, after an hour or so I arrived at the number.

The hour wasn't completely wasted, however, as I managed to drink 4 or 5 lagers during the 'Numberathon' Very Happy
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2008 4:16 pm    

I have a computer program that I downloaded somewhere that calculates all that for you. All you have to do is input the scale length. You could probably find it with a Google search.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2008 4:30 pm    

Darvin,
the first one i hit on:
http://buildyourguitar.com/resources/fretcalc/jscrptclc.htm
And Richard, that jibes with your formula. So you were correct. Thanks the both of you
Bent
Carl Heatley

Morehead City,NC
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2008 6:14 pm    

Andy Schick wrote:
I have been detailing my new gently used Sho-Bud Super Pro, and I needed to replace one of my fretboards. I tried new Bradshaw fretboards and at that time I realized that they were the wrong scale length. I quadruple checked it, my guitar is a 24.25" scale length. I am now in the position of looking for new or gently used fretboards (black and white only) that would work on my guitar.
Any information on these custom Super-Pros would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Andy

Hey Andy,
Does this mean you have a 24" scale length fretboard
you dont need????
If so...I may be interested in buying it from you.
Let me know...Carl.