| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tom Brumley
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 11:38 am    

We all know and respect Tom for work with Buck Owens and Ricky Nelson,,,but I would like to remind everyone who isn't already aware, of another aspect of Tom,,,one that I know he is MOST proud of,,,and that is,,his great heritage! Are ya'll aware that Tom's father was the late and great Albert E. Brumley,,,the writer of literally hundreds of gospel songs that we all grew up on,,,songs like "I'll Fly Away",,,"He Set Me Free",,,"This World Is Not My Home",,,"If We Never Meet Again",,and countless more,,all songs that spoke of his faith,,,and his looking forward to his reward. His songs have touched millions,,,what a legacy!!! And he not only raised a PSG player that we all look up to,,,but he instilled the love of music in his family,,Tom's brothers and sisters have a great music show in Branson. I think Tom's brother, Albert Jr. is a fantastic singer,,,especially when he sings his daddy's songs,,,you can just hear the love and pride in his voice. I always think,,"man,,it must be very difficult to sing such inspiring words,,that you know were born in your daddy's heart". And Tom's son is a great bass player,,,or was 20 odd years ago when I met Tom.

And is everyone aware that Tom was an owner and producer of the famous ZB guitars that were developed by Zane Beck???

Seems like a lot of our great ones are leaving us,,so I just wanted every to know a little more about one that is still with us,,,and hopefully will be for a long time,,,what a rich heritage Tom has to share with us. I know Tom won't "toot his own horn",,,but I hope he will jump in and add to the little that I know and have (with Tom's permission) posted here.

This picture is from an old cassette tape (long since worn out) that I got from Tom 20 +/- years ago,,,probably available on CD now,,,
Mike Shefrin

Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 12:16 pm    

I have always treasured Tom's beautiful playing, and it's very interesting to read these things about him that I was unaware of. Thanks Sonny.
RMckee

Broken Arrow, OK
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 3:32 pm     Tom Brumley

I listened to the cassette you have pictured yesterday afternoon and was reminded again of how much I love to hear Tom play. I wish he would cut an instrumental tape of several of his father's hymns. My playing has primarily been in church and I don't recall many services which did not include at least one song written by Mr. Brumley.
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 3:36 pm    

Tom Brumley is one of my favorite steelers. I didn't know that about his father, very interesting in deed.
Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 3:47 pm    

Yes Tom is one great talent. Plays such beautiful steel guitar. But you all must know that his is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. I am so proud to call him my friend. Loveya pal, Bobby
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 3:49 pm    

same here....thanks for enlightening us!
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 3:57 pm    

I have fond memeories of many of the old Alfred E. Brumley hymns growing up in a Baptist church with Mom being born/raised in Oklahoma Smile Alot of the greats sung in church you just don't hear that often anymore. Much seems to have been replaced with the more modern/contempary music. I'm also am a big fan of he Buckaroos and their sound that was developed with Tom on steel and Don on tele and his prominent harmony vocals. That ended far oo soon Crying or Very sad It brings me back in time to my growing up in the 50's/60's Very Happy
Great post Sonny!! Smile
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 4:18 pm    

Tom Brumley is an American original. He comes from a rich family musical heritage. He invented his own playing style, which happens to be my favorite. I am forever a ZB player because of him and Al perkins.
Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 5:25 pm    

I remember when I was a kid watching the Cousin Hurbs Trading Post with live country music here in Bakersfield with my mother and hearing Al Brumley Jr. sing his fathers song. I was just a kid but I knew that it was something special. Lost my mother before Xmas she was 94 yrs.Got to hear Tom play his Steel back then to.
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56
Bob Hickish

Port Ludlow, Washington, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 5:40 pm    

I remember seeing this Al on a Bakersfield station .

COUSIN HERB HENSON'S TRADING POST GANG.
From left to right: Lewis Tally, Fuzzy Owen, Bonnie Owens, Roy Nichols,
Al Brumley and Cousin Herb Henson.
KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 7:31 pm    

We're planning a trip to Branson the first week of June. Love to see Tom there. Very Happy Got to see Mel,and The Statesiders too. Cool
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 7:31 pm    

Albert Jr. and Merle Haggard have a fantastic gospel CD called Two Old Friends. There voices blend wonderfully and most all of the songs were written by Albert, Albert Jr. or Merle.
Ted Solesky

Mineral Wells, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 10:33 pm    

You can see where all that talent comes from. I don't know if Tom remembers me but I conversed with him when he got involved with building ZB guitars. We had quite a few chats. He was easy to talk to. He's always had my admiration. Ted
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 11:56 pm    

The pickin' ain't over til Tom has played. Jody.
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2008 9:47 am    

Here's my thoughts on this thread, and this is in no way to be disrespectful to Mr. Tom Brumley.

1) First, I am a very big fan of Tom Brumley's and have been for 30+ years. I have all his steel recordings and those he did with Buck Owens, etc.

2) However, when you mention Tom's name, unless they are a steel player or really know anything about steel guitar or him, they don't recognize the name. Mind you this is the Brumley's roots, background, etc. Tom's a Missouri boy; we get to claim him.

3) However, when you still mention Al Brumley Sr. many people in this area, know him or remember him for his popular Gospel song writing. You cannot attend a church in this area and not find a hymnal without listing a bunch of Al Brumley Sr's, that is Tom's father's songs in it. I would venture to say that his song "I'll Fly Away," is about as popular and well-known as "Amazing Grace, " or "How Great Thou Art."

I like the thread because he shows how musicaly gifted the Brumley family all are or were. The hold bunch of them had music in the genetics. Winking

If your in Branson, catch Tom playing his 11 stringer. His playing is superb and and as eloquent as when I first heard him 30+ years ago.

"Some glad morning when this life is oe'r, I'll Fly Away. When I arise Hallelujah, bye and bye, I'll fly away!" Words by Al Brumley Sr.

May GOD bless!

Terry Wood

Last edited by Terry Wood on 5 Feb 2009 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Eddie D.Bollinger

Calhoun City, Mississippi
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2008 1:30 pm    

My favorite Albert Brumley tune will always
be "Rank Strangers" that we have done a million times
in the bluegrass style.

I got to hear Tom and his family perform that tune at their show in Branson several years ago.

I will never forget sitting in the lobby of the Millenium in St. Louis and listening to Tom and Ms.
Rolene talk about their lives. And they were talking
to ME. Great folks.
ray qualls

Baxter Springs, Kansas (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2008 1:54 pm    

A lot of people don't know that Tom & Al appeared on a live television show in the late "50's" out of Pittsburg, Kansas and the show was live, every saturday night and was called the "Circle 7 Jamboree"!
This was before he went with Buck Owens. Sure wish I could get some of those old tapes as they would be priceless! The Brumley family is a state treasure for Missouri. Ray
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008
Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2008 9:40 pm    

I want to say a big thank you to Tom. He has been an inspiration and personally a tremendous help to me in my career. I would'nt be where I'm at today if it was'nt for his help and encouragement. I have also worked with his sons' and they are very talented as well. Tom also did some great steel playing for the Desert Rose Band which happens to be and still is one of my favorite groups. All my best to Tom and his family. Dean
Tom Harris

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2008 7:43 am    

I was in a "Thrift Store" a while back looking at some old cassette's and I found this one,,"Tom Cattin',"by Tom Brumley,,I snatched it up so fast ,,it sucked the covers off several other tapes,,I was scard someone else was gonna beat me to it,some dang good one's on it,,I been a Tom Brumley fan ever since i heard him do "Together Again",,,,I remember seeing some songs in the Baptist Hymnal,,by Brumley,but never thought it was Tom's Dad..
songs on the cassette..

Seven Come Eleven
Steel Guitar Polka
Waltz of the Roses
Tom Cattin...my fav.
Tracy's Waltz
Runnin' Short
Steel Guitar Rag

Bud's Bounce
Neosho Waltz
Free and Easy
Midnight on the Desert
Pedal Patter
Tom's Waltz
Apple Jack

all are classics..
Tom Harris............
Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2008 9:11 am    

Had the pleasure of meeting Tom and his family when I lived in Ozark Mo and working at the Baldknobbers.What a great family....Ron
Dale Dorsey

Granger, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2008 3:01 pm    

Well, I'm sure Tom will get to these posts and read them before long. Simply stated....Al & Tom are the closest thing to family to me, although they won't claim me Smile Their talents are second to none, but more importantly.....they are the finest people you'll ever run into. I've been blessed to have known them both and had worked with Al long ago. You won't find more loyal and honest folks on the planet. Tom is playing on the Joey Riley show in Branson now if you want to see him... and to hear him play is worth the trip alone. I look for them both to be around a lot more years and continue to entertain us in one form or another. All you have to do is meet either one of them and you'll feel right at home. They got it from their parents Albert & Goldie. I'm sure I'm not the only starving musician they took in over the years and fed. I'm sure there we're plenty of musicians that sat down to dinner in Powell at the Brumley home. Thanks for starting the post. It's well deserved.

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2008 6:33 pm    

I took this one at St Louis back about 1981.

A true master at work.

Ken

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 1:42 am    

I had the pleasure of meeting Tom at Scotty's in 2000. I told him after his performance while he was packing up his steel, that if he "never had another fan in the entire world, he had me". I was surprised that he turned around, shook my hand, and thanked me. I still believe that the entire crew of five....Buck Owens and the Buckaroo's, changed the face of country music forever with their style. It's a style that will never again be duplicated in 100 years. They invented it, they played it, and they played it well. Tom has been and will always be a big reason that I even took up this cantankerous instrument. And, at the time back in 2000, I thanked him for his positive influence on me.
He's one of a kind. There will never be another.
PRR
Tony Davis

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 3:56 am    

Well I met Tom...told him he was to blame for my addiction......at fist I got a handshake......but some time later ..forget what was said or which show it was at........but finished up with a frendly Grin and a punch on the shoulder...just a friendly one.............also a stand alongside sort of thing for a Forumn Photo.........so I just class him as "Friend
Tony
Dennis Graves

Maryville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 4:37 am    

Toms steel on "Together Again" is, was, and always will be my favorite. Probably 90% of the reason I ever tried to play this contraption..
Very Happy
Dennis