| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  WTB - Mic
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2008 6:18 pm    

I would like to buy a mic that would be suitable for any type of recording...voice, acoustic guitar and steel amp. Tight budget dictates $100 or less.
Let me know what you have. Thanks
Cross referencing to this one:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=124665
Bent
T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 6:26 am    

Bent,

Please let me know what type of mixer input connector you have. Do you have phantom power available? If you don't, that will limit your choices.
TC
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 8:37 am    

TC Thanks for responding. As you can tell, I am quite ignorant about all this stuff. Have never had any experience with digital recording.
I do not have a mixer input connector.
I do not have phantom power..what is that anyway? Is it a preamp?
T. C. Furlong

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 2:02 pm    

Hi Bent,

You will obviously need to connect the microphone to a recording device. If you intend to use a computer as the recorder, you will probably need an interface (like a USB interface) or if you intend to use the computer's audio input, you will have to provide an outboard microphone preamp in order to use a decent quality microphone. There are a few microphones that have a built in USB interface but they are more than your budget.

I would suggest visiting the pro audio department at your local music store to learn more about how to record to a digital device. There are many choices of devices onto which you can record these days. There are even interfaces that you can connect to an iPod and record directly onto it. After you have settled on a recording device/format, then you can select an appropriate microphone.
TC
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 4:17 pm    

TC,
Yep, it sure looks like I have a lot to learn just to get into the basics of digital recording.
Here is what I envision, please correct where needed:
I would like a condenser mike with a shock cradle.
this has to go into a preamp, then I would plug the preamp into the 'line' in on the computer and I would record via a recording program like Audacity...no?
If this don't work...could I plug it into a USB 2.0 port? Would preamp to USB give better results in any situation?
I asked what is phantom power...I imagine it is the preamp..right?
Thanks for all the great help!
T. C. Furlong

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 4:39 pm    

Hi Bent,

Phantom power is supplied to the microphone by the mic preamp. Phantom power travels through the balanced microphone cable to power the microphone which has an electronic circuit in it. Most professional condenser microphones require phantom power (the ones that don't have a battery and are usually not pro quality)

I don't know much about Audacity other than it's freeware. I don't know if it can accept an audio signal via USB. The problem with most on-board sound cards is that they do not use very good analog to digital converters so they don't sound all that great. Maybe there is someone who can guide you over in the computer section of the forum. You may want to check out M-Audio. They make inexpensive interfaces and include Digidesign's Pro Tools LE which is fairly standard for multitrack recording. It's not that easy to use but once you get that hang of it, it's great.

TC

PS I wish I could be more helpful.
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 5:02 pm    

I suggest getting a small Behringer mixer with phantom power. 8 to 10 channels should be plenty. You could use something like a Shure SM-48, 58, 57, etc until you have the cash to upgrade to a better studio mic. Incidentally, the Studio Projects C1 is great for recording just a bout anything and it costs $200. Less for a used one. Cheaper than that, and nearly as good, a Behringer B1. Both are large diaphragm condensers.

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 5:36 pm    

TC, You have been most helpful and I thank you.
Things are becoming clearer to me now. It's not just a matter of plugging a mic into the line in and let'er rip. That is if you want great sound. On the other hand, I have heard some very impressive recordings done with just a mic or direct to line in.
Interesting, this sound stuff. Thanks again for your help and pointing me in the right directions.

Gary...The mixer, yes i can see its pluses for sure. But If a guy wants to go low-budget can he not just record one thing at a time and then overdub?
Like...start out with acoustic guitar, then voice then steel...and so on? I understand Audacity is capable of multi-tracking?
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 7:49 pm    

If you're doing everything by yourself, yes you'll be recording one track at a time. Usually, we start with drums. But I think you'll still want to have a mixer. You could get a really small Behringer mixer for $30 or so but I think you'll want a slightly larger one. The mixer will have mic preamps, line inputs, RCA inputs, etc. It will let you connect anything to your system.

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2008 10:38 am    

I have a brand new Sure SM-58 I would sell for $80.00 plus shipping.
Very Good Mike
Ken
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2008 12:11 pm    

thanks Gary. Looks like my best bet would be to get the MXL 990/991, where I get the preamp and two mikes for $100. All I then need is a pop screen and a shock cradle. This should be good enough for an amateur.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2008 12:17 pm    

Ken M.,
Thanks for the offer. I always thought that the Shure mics were better suited for stage and not recording.

I have read some discussions on here to that effect.
Maybe I misunderstood something.

Funny, but yours is the second offer I got for a "brand new, still in box" SM58. Maybe y'all are switching to one of the newer brands?