| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tweaking Dobro
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2007 10:12 am    

I have an inexpensive (Rogue) reso that I have converted to an 8 string (figured if it didn't work,,not a great loss). It had a slight string buzz before I did anything to it,,now it has even more. However,,the conversion seems to have worked out OK so now I would like to get the buzz out,,and maybe tweak it for it's best capabilities. The screw adjustment on the bridge does not seem to be functional,,I think the threads are stripped in the cone,,so I guess I'll start with a new cone, spider, bridge etc. I see that spider bridge and bisquit bridge is available,,,could someone explain these please. Also I think I saw some info on how to adjust a reso a while back,,,but now I can't find it. All the input I can get would be appreciated. I'm much more comfortable with my PSG and lap steels,,but people seem to like what I do on reso,,,sooooo,,,??
David Venzke

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2007 10:34 am    

Hello, Sonny,

A good place to go for information and parts is the Stew-Mac site. They have resonator setup instructions here:

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/String_action_and_setup/i-4006.html

That page not only contains information on setup, but shows the two different cone/bridge types (biscuit vs. spider). You have the spider style cone/bridge (the biscuit cone does not have an adjustment screw).

You might also find Greg McKenna's reso setup/troubleshooting page useful:

http://www.mckennaguitars.com/setup_repairs.htm

Good Luck!

-Dave
Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 29 Dec 2007 11:05 am    

Hey David,,,Thanks for the links,,,some good info. Is there any advantage or disadvantage of the bisquit bridge over the spider? or can the spider that I have now even be converted to a bisquit type? Seems like the bisquit type is easier to set up? I notice in the stew-Mac catalog there is a cone-spider set called a Lebeda,,,is that a good choice for matched cone-spider?
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2007 11:29 am     linky

Hey Sonny, which model Rogue do you have? The spider bridge or biscuit bridge? If you're looking to upgrade the parts, I don't think they interchange.

I don't think the Lebeda is a good choice. I have played them and they don't compare nearly as well as the Quarterman.

Incidentally, I have one of the Rogues that I installed a Q cone in and added a bone nut. The spider and bridge, though not the US #14 are ok and the inserts are ebony over maple. If you have the spider bridge, I'd recommend just changing the cone, nut, levelling the spider legs and checking the tailpiece for clearance at the coverplate.
Interesting about the screw adjustment. The insert for that screw is pretty thick and meaty, but I suppose it could be stripped. If you can't adjust the tension, then it would probably rattle more than buzz.

Below is a link to a topic I have with some good responses from very creditable folks on how to deal with some of these problems. Good Luck Exclamation
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=123417
David Venzke

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2007 12:34 pm    

Sonny,

Spider vs. biscuit spider/cone are not freely interchangeable. Besides, you already have a spider style setup and should get better volume from it than a biscuit setup.

I have no experience with the Lebeda cone/spider combo. I have one of Bill Blues "Liberty" resos. It came with the Quarterman cone upgrade, but it had a short plastic nut which I changed out for bone, a spindly spider which I changed out for one of the Stew-Mac spiders, and I put an Ebony insert on the treble side of the bridge and Corian on the bass side. With a set of Martin Bluegrass reso strings it sounds good to my ears!

-Dave
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2007 2:43 pm    

"The insert for that screw is pretty thick and meaty, "
Perhaps you could tap it out for the next size screw. I stripped a 4-40 hole in a Shobud changer, and was able to tap out to 3mm with no re-drilling. Holds tight.
Billy Gilbert

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2007 7:25 pm     dobro set-up

Sonny,

Bring it over on a warm day. I have a tool to level the ledge the cone sits on, and one to level the spider bridge. I also have a couple spare cones we could try. Bisquet bridges aren't designed for lap style playing. You did quiet well on the conversion.

Smile Smile Billy
James Harrison

New Brockton, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2007 10:21 pm    

Hi Sonny" I have noticed on some of the imported resonator guitars that the spider in not level and does not make solid contact with the cone and will cause a buzz. Take a pencil and hold the eraser with slight pressure on each spider leg at the end and see if the buzz changes or goes away, if it does there is your problem. If this don't help take the string out of the nut and saddle slots and set the string on top of the nut and or bridge and see if it the buzz goes away. There are lots of places on a reso that can cause a rattle or buzz. Also just tighten the bridge screw until you feel resistance and tighten about 1/4 turn further. This is just from my experence and may not be correct as to other knowledge. Let us know if you find the problem.
Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 7:10 am    

Hey Billy,,thanks for the offer,,,I will definitely take you up on it. We need to get together and renew our aquaintance anyway. I'd like to get this 8 string reso to going,,,it's just been sitting in the closet.