| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kilima Hawaiians
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2007 3:22 pm    

Does anybody have music by this post war Netherlands group they could share on this forum? I'd much prefer anything minus Rudi Wairata, as I've rarely liked his style, but there were these other players that I'd like to hear - in order of their membership - Vic Spangenberg, whom may still be alive into his 90s, Theo Ehrlicher '45 to '58 http://sevenload.com/images/tT8x1Rz/The-Kilima-Hawaiians click on pic to enlarge, and that's a 6 str. VH he's playing, French Doolaard, then possibly Coy Pereira.

The reason for this post is to hopefully find out who the player of a wild red Vox Humana dbl. 6 steel was. I saw this guitar for sale on Ebay years ago, desperately wanting it, no luck..., but saved the pix, and would like to link it with a name. If Rudi came into the group after Theo, then it may have been his, as VH was a late 50s & 60s venture.
Wish I could share the pix, but I'm SOL at the moment.

Vox Humana's were super looking steels. Anybody here ever play one?
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2007 4:35 pm    

I found this link to some music by the Kilima Hawaiians, but it appears to be cowboy music rather than Hawaiian!

I've only seen the Vox Humana lap steels in photos, never in person. I have no idea how they sound. I don't believe they were ever offically imported into the USA. If they were, they certainly didn't sell many.
Manfred Nabinger

Germany
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2007 7:24 am    

There are some reissues of the Kilima Hawaiians' songs available in Europe. Short clips can be found here:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/SESSIONID/54e1fcb71e524024afacb88c7319a0c0/poprock/detail/-/hnum/9129308?rk=home&rsk=detail

The KH were very popular here in Germany in the early and mid fifties. Their music was a mixture of german mainstream pop, cowboy themes and hawaiian sounds. Their cover version of Carson Robinsons's „There's a Bridle on the Wall" was a #1 hit in Germany.

You can find some Vox Humana steels on the website of Palm Guitars (Amsterdam):

http://www.palmguitars.nl/page.php?cat_id=14