| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  need help with a chord
Dean Salisbury

New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 7:17 am    

I am trying to tab unchained melody! I am playing on a non pedal 6 string tuned to C6. I believe there is an Em I'm playing it on the 4th fret using 5,3,2 but it sure don't sound right, so either Im not playing the Em chord correctly or I totally have the wrong chord. Don't know which. by ear I have c-am-f-g, c-am-g, c-am-f-g, c-am-em... here is where I think it goes from am to an Em! I think I have all the other chords correct, but just that Em or whatever it is that I cannot figure out or play correctly is giving me trouble.

Would appreciate any help here! Thanks

Dean from NYC

Last edited by Dean Salisbury on 31 Dec 2007 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 7:23 am    

Hi Dean,
Try the seventh fret.
G6 G B D E = Emin7 E G B D
Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 7:37 am    

Dean
I have the song tabbed out and you can find it on the Ricky Davis Rebel site . Scroll down until you find page 1 & 2. It's in E9th but the music and chords are there for you to follow.
Good luck.
Don
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html
Dean Salisbury

New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 7:42 am     Thanks Don

That is in the key of G, With my voice for Unchained Melody I sing it better in the key of C, so that is why I'm trying to figure it out in the Key of C

But thanks for the Key of G, I have that tab as well!

Dean from NYC

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 7:46 am    

If you have the chords in G then just transpose them to C.
Nothing hard about that.
I sing it in C also, but play it in G.
Don
Dean Salisbury

New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 7:48 am     hmmm Fred

Well I will try that. Now that I may be totally confused but before I tried your suggestion. Though I would just respond. I was playing the G major on the 7th fret and that sounded almost perfect and thought that was or is a G chord! lololo hope it is!

now you say to play the 7th fret and guess your telling me it is the Emin7 E G B D so would be the 4, 3, 2, 1 strings. hmmmm will have to try it. I surely will let you know and appreciate you response!

Thanks

Dean from NYC

New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 8:01 am     Fred DONT GET IT

but of course you were right, sounds great! boy got to remember that 7th fret for the chord that to me sounds like an Em! Thanks for the help! that was the chord I was looking for and missed. However, just to keep my mind sane, Em is played on the 4th fret 5-3-2?

another question. to play the 4 strings that you are telling me. I am assuming you play 4 and 3 with the thumb and the 2 with first finger and 1 with the middle figure? all at one time. After struming all for, didn't really sound right so tried to figure out how to play all the strings at one time!

Boy that really sound good!

Dean from NYC

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 8:15 am    

Hi Dean,

If you're tuned to this C6

E high
C
A
G
E
C low

then the seventh fret is low to high
GBDEGB

Any combination of E, G and B will give you an Emin

The fourth fret is EG#BC#EG#
This is E6 (EG#BC#) and C#min7 (C#EG#B)

Quote:
I believe there is an Em I'm playing it on the 4th fret using 5,3,2 but it sure don't sound right

Those three notes G#C#E are a C#min. It is also an E6 with the B missing.

Hope this helps
Fred
Dean Salisbury

New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 8:15 am     Thanks Don

That is one of my problems I cannot transpose worth a damn. I purchased Don Beaumier's 60 pop melodies. I knew before I bought it that it was tabbed for E9. Thought I would well might have luck in transposing some of the songs. But so far haven't been that lucky.

Playing the tabs as he has written them, by the way his unchained melody is very close to yours. Using the chords in E9, is fine until I want to sing along! lolol

Then my voice I need all the help I can get. lololol So then at times I have to tab in the key that fits my voice.

My next job will be to tab the melody! this will take me some time, then to figure out how to play it with very little movement like you guys seem to be able to play with very little movement. lolol

Thank God I only play for my own amusement because I wouldn't even make pennies! lolol

Dean from NYC

New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 8:24 am     Fred Thanks for the explanation

Well I was totally wrong with trying to understand from a dvd course. When they talked about making minors! Guess I have to go back and listen again. But I was sure that to make a minor. JUST CAUGHT MY MIS-UNDERSTANDING I think. To find a major chord you use the 6th string and for a minor you use the 3rd string!!!! Hope Im right now! I was thinking that the 6th string, 4th was a E so I was playing 5,3,2! hmmmmm

Boy your explanation really helped and I copied and pasted in my learning material!

So what you would an easy explanation to find a 7th, or is there one. That will be my next project. like D7 C7 G7 etc. I may learn a bunch through my stupidity here! lololol. However, I've never been bashful in asking questions when I had no clue!!!!!

thanks again Fred!

Dean from NYC

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 8:27 am    

Quote:
To find a major chord you use the 6th string and for a minor you use the 3rd string!!!!

Yes!

F[/quote]
Dean Salisbury

New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 8:06 pm     need more help

Hi again hate to ask a beginners question but again I need some help on how to make a C7 chord using a non-pedal 6 string tuned to C6 I know the C chord can be made either at the nut or the 12th fret. In re-listening to the tutorial dvd's I have, I must be missing it somewhere, but I cannot find where they discuss 7th chords.

Need some help on this one! There has got to be an easy way to remember how to make any 7th chords but I sure cannot find it via the several DVD's I have so hope someone will tell me.

Thanks Dean from NYC

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 12:24 am    

The 3rd fret will do it with strings 3,4 and 5. The seventh fret strings 2 and 3 combined in what is known as a split slant with 6 fret string 5. But there are several other ways. I would suggest that you buy Dewitt Scott's Method for non pedal C6 guitar. It is in book form. It is tailor made for beginners like you. I think it's available here on the forum. If not, try Scotty's Music. They are on line.