| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sarah Jory w/Van Morrison
Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2007 10:51 pm    

Just got back from seeing the legendary Van the Man at the Masonic Auditorium in San Francisco...it was downhill on Powell back to the hotel so I managed the energy to type this post Wink

anyway, Sarah sounded great, loud and clear in the mix and her steel playing was featured plenty...also some dobro and yes, even b$*jo on one tune Very Happy
Jim Walker

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2007 8:02 am    

I sure would like to see Sarah for myself. I checked into tickets when Van played in Orlando but at $175 a pop I had to pass.
Greg Simmons

Post  Posted 29 Dec 2007 11:51 am    

only $175? Wink

yeah, tix these days for folks like this are not cheap, but in our case the show we saw was first-rate, Van hasn't lost a step, gave 110% - he played sax, guitar and harmonica as well as of course vocals - for over 90 mins., the whole band was primo, and the venue is absolutely spectacular Very Happy

FYI...Sarah was playing a Magnum through a Peavey (not sure which specific amp, likely a 112) and her tone - "tone" being subjective of course - was as good as I've heard a pedal steel live... Smile
Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2007 12:30 pm    

I would love to have seen that... I saw Cindy Cashdollar with Van last year here at the Ryman which was an incredible show; I've only seen Sarah front her own band, which is pretty cool too! Did she play most of the show or just during certain parts?

And the Masonic Auditorium IS an awesome venue, isn't it? I saw an Allison Krauss show there on a day off in SF; come to think of it we walked down that steep (!) hill on Powell to our hotel afterwards too...
Greg Simmons

Post  Posted 29 Dec 2007 12:50 pm    

Pete;

Sarah was featured real prominently throughout, had a solo on about 75% of the tunes in the set, even snuck a few measures of "Sleepwalk" in on a tune...it's gotta be the venue from heaven...capacity of about 3100 with a balcony...man these guys knew how to mix sound...didn't need my ear plugs and a welcome respite from the "kick drum & bass from hell" that passes for a mix at a lot of shows these days...actually Van and Neil Young in Spokane were 2 shows with absolutely ideal sound this year, so there is hope Cool