| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who was that steel player???
Kenny Burford

Independence, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2007 5:47 am    

Sunday night PBS aired a special with Linda Ronstat playing a prison and she had a steel guitarist in the group, who was it? I found the name of the band, (Swampwater, I think), but I could not determine steel player's name. It has probably been listed on the SGF a dozen times, but I haven't seen it.
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2007 7:05 am    

There's a YouTube video of young Linda playing for a prison audience. Buddy Emmons is the confirmed Steeler in that one.
Larry Strawn

Golden Valley, Arizona, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2007 7:17 am    

Joey Ace wrote:
There's a YouTube video of young Linda playing for a prison audience. Buddy Emmons is the confirmed Steeler in that one.

Joey,
Are you sure? Or are you going by the shirt? Laughing

Definatly BE in that one! Very Happy

Larry
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2007 9:35 am    

I haven't seen the PBS show in question, but the steel player who was in Swampwater was Thad Maxwell.
Kenny Burford

Independence, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2007 10:02 am    

Thanks, but I don't believe the steel player on the show I watched was Mr. Buddy Emmons; however, a person can always be wrong. I am guessing it must have been Thad Maxwell. If that is the case did he ever doing any recordings with the Eagles or did he work on any of Ronstat's recordings? Something I read about Swampwater on the Internet said that some of the memebers went on to become part of the Eagles, is that correct?
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2007 10:33 am    

Swampwater backed Linda for awhile in the late '60's, and consisted of Gib Guilbeau on fiddle, John Beland (gtr), Thad Maxwell (stl), Stan Pratt and Ed White, bass & drums, but I can't remember who played what. And I think Mickey McGee might have played drums for awhile, as well.
Nobody went on to be in the Eagles from Swampwater - you're probably thinking of Shiloh, which included Don Henley, Al Perkins, Richard Bowden, Jim Ed Norman, and Mike Bowden (I think it was Mike).
Gib Guilbeau and John Beland went on to play in a version of the Burrito Brothers, which included yours truly for a short while - about six months.
I'm pretty sure that Thad never recorded with the Eagles. He went on to play with Mac Davis for a few years. Al Perkins played on the Eagles early stuff- "Ol'55", etc.

There was a thread awhile back about a YouTube clip of Ronstadt - it might have been in a prison -where Buddy E was on steel.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2007 11:16 am    

This is from the youtube from the earlier discussion (with Buddy Emmons and his shirt). I saved it because I was doing a study of...mic stands.

Does this look like the Linda that you saw?
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2007 8:01 pm    

Are we going thru this again?
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2007 9:08 pm    

that's not buddy's shirt this is just another forum conspiracy lol. Anyway that might have been linda. But this is Linda today, when Las Vagas showed her the door.

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2007 2:30 am    

oh yeah, in Vegas.. they've got principles..

(edited for poor grammar, if you're gonna be a wise-ass, make sure there's some 'wise' involved)
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2007 12:13 pm    

Just goes to show ya she is as big as her mouth..proof that what goes on in vegas, doesn't stay in vegas. Now as for buddys shirt.....