| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  sho bud wood
Antolina

Dunkirk NY
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2007 11:59 am    

I see a lot of older beautiful natural wood sho buds. Are these solid maple or are they veneered? Looking underneath, they seem to have different graining patterns than what I see on the outside.

Sho~Bud 6139 3+3
Marrs 3+4

RC Antolina
Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2007 12:26 pm    

I have an 83 pro 1 that is solid maple. I think the color difference is from slight oxidation of the wood over the years.

Dixon Springs, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2007 12:46 pm     maple all the way!

Hey RC! The wood used in all the old Buds were solid maple with pretty nice figure in most all of them,some with birdeye which is less common. Looking underneath the guitar you will see a different figure than the top(or front)due to the thickness of the wood...the grain can differ significantly in just a mere 1/4 inch or so. See that you have a Marrs guitar. I had the very first Marrs guitar that Duane sold(ser#0002)and another later on with a pretty burnt orange finish on a cabinet that was veneered with fiddleback maple front and top and had a mica finish underneath. Duane always was game for trying things. He would know decisively about your Sho-Bud question.Respectfully submitted, RK

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2007 1:14 pm    

RC - my two old Sho Buds - one's a '72 rack and barrel S-10 Professional, the other is a late 70s or early 80s S-12 Universal - are both solid birdseye and flamed maple. I've seen quite a few, and I don't recall any that were veneered wood. I think you're gonna like your Bud. Smile
Jack Francis

Queen Creek, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2007 1:16 pm    

It wouldn't be the age of the wood, but rather the age of the paints, dyes or clear coats that causes discoloration.
Antolina

Dunkirk NY
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2007 1:27 pm    

Thanks guys. I kinda figured as much but wanted to put my mind at ease. I just bought that wine colored "classic" from Ryan. I'm having him ship it right over to Jeff Surrat's place to have that ding repaired. From what I undertstand, AJ is a whiz with woodwork and stains. I'm also gonna let Jeff put a couple more levers on it at the same time.

I'll post some pictures when I get it back.

Dave, I ain't gonna like it. It's already a full blown love afair.

rc

Sho~Bud 6139 3+3
Marrs 3+4

RC Antolina
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2007 5:05 pm    

The mainstay of Sho-Bud was maple, either birdseye or hard rock. But Sho-Bud made many cabinets using exotic woods such as Coca Bolo, Rosewood, Purple Heart and others. Most of these guitars were pre- Professional series era (1955 - 1969)guitars with the most of the exotics being built during the 60s. My first Bud was a 1957 wood end birdeye maple with black necks. My Mom bought this guitar and a Standel amp used for $450.00. My first New Bud was a Rosewood and Maple Finger Tip. Wish I had those back.
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2007 7:00 pm    

Lotsa birdseye in them ol' ~Buds Wink

Bordley Palk

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2007 8:19 pm     Woodneck tone

I love the looks of the birdseye maple, but the tone from my woodneck Bud sure sounds better to me than the metal necks. Just seems warmer to me!
BOP