| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I'm So Confused
Jim Venverloh

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 4:27 pm    

I used to play pedal steel back in the 70's, but gave it up to persue a drinking career. Now I'm sober and want to get back into playing again and I really confused about which SD-10 to get. So many brands....so many opinions. I can afford more than a student model, but really don't want to spend a ton of money. Any suggestions as to the best "bang" that I can get for my buck????
Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 4:34 pm    

Jim,
I would suggest a Fessenden. I have one (sd10) and like it very much. I also have a Zum D10 and a Sho-Bud LDG and the Fessenden sounds just as good as either one. It's a great steel.
Mitch
p.s. I'm glad that you're sober.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 6:48 pm    

Jim I would take a good look at Gary Carpenter's new Carpsteel (Rains) A student model priced as such but with the looks of a pro under the hood.

congrats on the sobriety!! You'll hit the right strings and pedals now Smile
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 10:36 pm    

I don't know. After 38 years, a bottle of Partron could probably make me quit. I am just kidding of course. Whan I die, I want to be creamated and my ashes buried with my steel guitar.
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 11:14 pm    

Keep an eye on the "For Sale: Instruments" section of trhe forums, and any of the modern all-pull SD10s will be more than adequate for an entire lifetime of steel playing at realistic prices.

Bobbe Seymour and Billy Cooper's shops are also highly regarded as reputable sources of excellent instruments.

Welcome back to the world of steel. You are discovering, as so many of us have, that once this instrument has you, it doesn't let go. I regard it as the world's healthiest addiction!
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2009 4:49 pm    

Jim,
Right now, there is a used, (like new) BMI single ten in the instruments for sale section for $1,500. This guitar is a lot of steel for that kind of money. The company is not big, but it is still in business and parts are available. I had one of these guitars and it was sweet, but sold it when I had to try something new.
Larry J.
Jim Venverloh

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2009 5:17 pm    

I am really looking to get a new guitar. Does anyone know anything about GFI??? I see a lot of other brands discussed....but I have not seen a post for GFI. Talked to Gary Fessenden and he has a new SD-10 ready to go....but I would have to jump on it pretty quick. What would you choose. I don't currently have a guitar...so I really don't want to wait months for delivery.
Jack Klein

Alpena, MI, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2009 5:46 pm     steel

Jim, I have an unplayed Desert Rose I will sell. it is burgundy lacquer on highly figured maple. it has 4 floor pedals and 5 knee levers. will learn how to send pics. Jack
Keith Schuler

Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2009 10:30 pm    

Jim, I see that you're new to the Forum. There lots of info for you right here. At the top of the page is a green bar of tabs. Click on LINKS & then click MANUFACUTRERS on the next page. You'll find a list of links to websites of nearly every brand of PSG under the sun. Using this feature, you can compare notes on various brands to give you some insight as to what brand may best fit your needs.

You say that you'd like a new guitar. Sometimes there are near new guitars that are very reliable listed in the ads here at the Forum. Below is a links for the 'best bang for the buck' currenly listed:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=152637
A really nice guitar at a quite modest price. Also very light & easy to move around.

Oops...here's a link to the MAGNUM website:
http://www.magnumsteelguitars.com/

Best Wishes, Keifer
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2009 5:02 am    

Jim,
I had the pleasure of looking at a new Williams the other day,that was for sale at a show, then the "IF" showed up. If I had the money, etc. Look at the different models they have to offer. The workmanship on the one I looked at was superb. I also like the changer design. Not to take away anything from other mfg. there are some really first rate products on the market now. Whichever one you choose, I wish you all the best on your new quest.

Congratulations on the dry spell, just hang in there, you can do it !!!!!

Bill
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2009 6:50 am    

Jim, are you more confused now?

The problem is that almost every steel player believes that their steel is the best playing, greatest sounding, most well-engineered instrument. So, when someone wants a recommendation on what to get they get 20 or more different brands and styles thrown at them. The fundamental truth is that all those who respond are right. Theirs IS the best.

For them.

Really, I think that it's just plain tough to go wrong on any used steel that's not a student model. Price-wise it's better to buy a used one. You just gotta watch out that it's in adjustment. Sho-Bud, Rittenberry, Emmons, Rains, Zum, Franklin, and virtually every other manufacturer. They're all good steels! Maybe the better question would be "Which ones do I stay away from and why?" That way you would get comments about those steels that have fundamental design and construction flaws. Personally, I think those older steels that use cables insteed of pedal rods belong in that category and that one knee lever is not enough.