| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  OLD!!!! Peavey amp question... Mike Brown??.....
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 6:52 am    

I was in the Market for a SS head to use on gigs for both steel AND Bass.. I had become impressed with the old Musician MarkIII amps for some bass gigs I have been doing with a progressive rock band .. super powerful,clean, virtually bulletproof with anvil like reliability, and can be had for a song .. I was going to buy one, until I found a super cheap {$85 shipped} Peavey Standard 260 w reverb which is an older series I guess... It should be here soon..

I read up on this amp, and it seems they are also highly regarded by users for super reliability, and loud clean sound.. My question is thus.. Will this amp have a decent tone for steel with a good 15' speaker??? [Weber California in a Peavey E115 box}..

It will serve double duty as a bass amp as well with different speakers...

am I asking too much from this amp??.. as stated, I found many great reviews from users that bought these old amps years ago for next to nothing and still love and use them to this day.. I would sincerely appreciate a bit of insight if anyone knows these amps... bob
Jeremy Steele

Princeton, NJ USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 9:48 am     Peavey Amp

Hi Bob,

Don't know about the amp you are referring to, but I tried using my Peavey Session 400 (which has been modified to be a head only) as a bass amp and it overheated midway through the first (admittedly loud) set...I would steer clear of using any amp for bass which has not been expressly designed for bass...just my 2 cents.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 11:20 am    

Jeremy..Normally I would agree 100%, but I am under the impression that this series and the later 210 watt Musician amps were overbuilt and designed for multi purpose use by guitar, keyboard and bass players.. Many of the reviews on HC touted these as fine bass amps..The 2 Musicians I used in the past few months were great bass amps... This has somewhat less power, but seems similar.... bob
Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 6:04 pm    

Bob I think this amp will have 130W RMS and maybe two channels? It probably will not have the mid sweep that the Session, Nashville, Vegas Amps have, but I played in a band with a guy who used one of these for steel (and 6 string) and it sounded fine to me, but that was back in the 70's!!
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 6:43 pm    

Yes Dyke.. thats the one.. It does have some mid control, but nothing like the steel amps, which is ok by me as long as its clean ...I can deal.. If not, I may get a Musician MarkIII which has a full graphic and more power and are dirt cheap also...I'm just tired of my Fender amps distorting at stage volume... bob
Casey Lowmiller

Kansas
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 9:43 pm    

I just recently purchased a LTD 400 that was out of the cabinet. I'm gonna turn it into a head unit. I'm excited about it.

Casey
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 8:05 am    

A friend of mine used one of those as a bass head for years and it worked fine.
I don't believe I'd try that open backed cabinet for bass, though. But who knows?
Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 9:12 am    

Let me show my ignorance. Why would an amp "overheat" when used with a bass instrument?

Bob as you and I have already discussed, I have this Musician III, acquired from D. Wilhoite, that is used here in the studio as a head for steel, lead, rhythm, and BASS and to my knowledge it has never 'overheated', failed to perform up to specs in all the hours we've used it. They are tremendously built too.

phred

Think about it!!
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 5:16 am     Peavey Bass Amp

Bob, the amplifier will shut itself down if it "sees" a short at the output. The amp either has an internal problem, or it "sees" a short at the speaker outputs. Make sure that you don't have a defective speaker cable.

The Standard amplifier was a guitar amplifier. There was an "A" series and a "B" series. It should work fine for steel guitar, but you may or may not get the tone that you want considering that the eq circuit was designed for six string guitar. Naturally, the speaker has a lot to do with the tone, just like your guitar does.

I'd go for it!

Mike Brown
Peavey USA