| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Chords on the Fretboard
Curtis Nicely

Tempe, AZ
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2007 9:45 am    

Does anyone know of a website where I can print out the chords as they lay out on the fret board in open and pedal down positions, as well as with levers for the e9th tuning? I saw something a relative had, that he had on a fretboard, where it showed you the chords on each fret, and with what levers engaged. Example, no pedals open E, 1st f, 2nd f# etc then pedal A open C#m, 1st Dm, 2nd D#m etc. For the major chord triad pulls? Thanks for all the help.

I still can't play!
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2007 10:06 am    

here's a program that you can download
it will give you all the chords & scales according to the set up of your steel Curtis

(Thanx again to Karlis Abolins)

http://home.comcast.net/~k.abolins/guitarmap.html
Richard Durrer

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2007 10:07 am     Chord Chart

I found that the Mel Bay Chord Chart available from many Steel Guitar dealers was very valuable and also saved me many hours of trying to figure it all out.
It retails for about $4.95.

Long Beach, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2007 10:26 am    

Curtis:

Try this site: http://www.skobrien.com/ChordFinder/ChordFinder.asp
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2007 11:33 am    

Tab:

A&F    E    A&B            open     A&F    E    A&B            open     A&F
   |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |    <- I chord

open     A&F    E    A&B            open     A&F    E    A&B           
   |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |    <- IV chord

A&B            open     A&F    E    A&B            open     A&F    E    A&B           
   |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |    <- V chord

Just the basic major chord inversions... which leads into the relative minors too.
Obviously there are lot more chords and alterations.

If the above seems of interest to you, check out the "where do i find it" thread on the Pedal Steel Forum: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1059852#1059852

... J-D.
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2007 11:39 am    

I believe that Maurice Anderson has a book out about all the chords including a teaching system on how to learn to locate them. Maurice can be reached thru the MSApedalsteels.com site.

Also Neal Flanz had a chord locator book out many, many years ago. I might be mistaken, but it seems to me that Bradshaw had some for sale... so b0b here may have inherited some(?). An other source may be Scotty's. I have lost track of Neal himself, last I knew years ago was that he was playing around Austin, TX... he used to post here too.

... J-D.
Mike Winter

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2007 5:39 pm    

What Richard said...that Mel Bay chord chart has been a great resource for me...and cheap, too.
Gary Baker

Charlotte, North Carolina
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2007 7:16 pm     Re: Chords on the Fretboard

Curtis Nicely wrote:
Does anyone know of a website where I can print out the chords as they lay out on the fret board in open and pedal down positions, as well as with levers for the e9th tuning? I saw something a relative had, that he had on a fretboard, where it showed you the chords on each fret, and with what levers engaged. Example, no pedals open E, 1st f, 2nd f# etc then pedal A open C#m, 1st Dm, 2nd D#m etc. For the major chord triad pulls? Thanks for all the help.

Hi Curtis. I'm a first year beginner and I can tell you that a PC software program called ClicTab has taken me further in learning the steel neck than any of the 20+ books and DVDs I've gone through.

I does not take a very powerful PC to run it and Ron Turner has done a great job of making it easy to use.

The "Help" files are a little weak but enough to get you going. If you get it and need help give me a jingle.

Best regards, Gary "Bo" Baker

Here is the web site for the software:

http://www.clictab.com/
Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2007 4:24 am    

Click on LINKS at the top of this page and go to " Steel Guitarists Home Pages". Check out Ricky Davis' "Mighty Fine Music" you'll find chord layout for just about every PSG setup plus chord charts for most non pedal tunings.